Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/29/2015 1:15:17 AM EDT
my buddy had some tracers, but they didn't work very well or shoot accurately. are there any good tracers made?

and is it true they are bad on the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Shouldn't be bad on the barrel. Most tracer compound doesn't light for some time after exiting the barrel.

Where to find some, I'd like to know as well. I had some surplus 1970s stuff, but it wouldn't light from my M92 :(

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Chinese and Yugo tracer ammo pops up for sale every now and then, but it's not cheap.  I just snagged two 15rd boxes of Yugo M78 over on AK Files at $22 per box.

EDIT: Pics...

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#4]
This has always been a tough find in 7.62 x 39 . I have an old paper wrapped sleeve of Chinese I bought ages ago for $1 a round .
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chinese and Yugo tracer ammo pops up for sale every now and then, but it's not cheap.  I just snagged two 15rd boxes of Yugo M78 over on AK Files at $22 per box.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lt1st285/image.jpg1_zpsxikesifo_1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lt1st285/image.jpg2_zpsxb7zldgy_1.jpg
View Quote

I am guessing this stuff got imported accidentally, as in mixed in with the regular lead core ball rounds?

I don't think the importation of tracers into the U.S. is allowed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am guessing this stuff got imported accidentally, as in mixed in with the regular lead core ball rounds?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lt1st285/image.jpg1_zpsxikesifo_1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/lt1st285/image.jpg2_zpsxb7zldgy_1.jpg

In came in in spam cans incorrectly marked as M67.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day as I call it, the mid 1980's when the AK market boomed with low priced guns and ammo, it was just about a regularity of hearing someone hitting the jackpot, if they knew what they had..guys buying cases of what they thought were steel cored ball.  Getting home and opening it up and wondering what this ammo is that is black/red tipped?  BZ API, same with green (tracer) or red tipped rds (incendiary).  I had close to 1600 rds of API once and sold them all for $4.00 per rd.  The guy didn't blink a eye as he rolled out his bankroll of my friend, Ben Franklin.  Tracer didn't bring that much, usually $1-2.00 per rd.  Now, those were the good old days!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try SMA    
View Quote

Thank you, sir!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back in the day as I call it, the mid 1980's when the AK market boomed with low priced guns and ammo, it was just about a regularity of hearing someone hitting the jackpot, if they knew what they had..guys buying cases of what they thought were steel cored ball.  Getting home and opening it up and wondering what this ammo is that is black/red tipped?  BZ API, same with green (tracer) or red tipped rds (incendiary).  I had close to 1600 rds of API once and sold them all for $4.00 per rd.  The guy didn't blink a eye as he rolled out his bankroll of my friend, Ben Franklin.  Tracer didn't bring that much, usually $1-2.00 per rd.  Now, those were the good old days!  
View Quote

$6400 damn! That's a hell of a profit on what was probably less than a $200 investment at the time !
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Welcome.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try SMA    

Thank you, sir!

Welcome.  

Doug is good to go, been dealing with him many years with no problems!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

$6400 damn! That's a hell of a profit on what was probably less than a $200 investment at the time !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, they are ultra rare for sure.  I had a sealed tin of 740 Chinese API in 20 rd boxes, and a sealed tin of Soviet tracer as well, plus multiple boxes, clips, and loose ones in the collection.  Wish I had them today, price would probably be double on the API.  This was all factory combloc stuff, no commercial rds at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep an eye on UN AMMO, United Nations Ammo out of Arizona. Great guys to deal with, will even ship smaller lots than what is advertised if you call them. Ive picked up 30.06, 7.62x54, .223 and 9mm tracer from them. all work perfectly .
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
JG Sales has some in stock.

http://www.jgsales.com/7.62x39-tracer-fmj-ammo,-10rd-pack.-p-929.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Just so the OP knows, those sites are selling reloaded rounds.

Red (actually orange) tips are pulled down 30-06 Tracer projos stuffed into original 7.62x39 primed cases.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just that it affects price.  Original Factory ComBloc tracer (usually green tip, but some were red) commands a higher price, so you don't want to pay Combloc prices for '06 tracer bullets in the case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Red (actually orange) tips are pulled down 30-06 Tracer projos stuffed into original 7.62x39 primed cases.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just that it affects price.  Original Factory ComBloc tracer (usually green tip, but some were red) commands a higher price, so you don't want to pay Combloc prices for '06 tracer bullets in the case.
View Quote

I wouldn't think .308 bullets fly very well out of a .311 bore...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly.  Which goes to the OP's original point of the tracers he shot not being very good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The SMA link specifies green tracer on all the stuff there....I'm thinking they're making their own rounds?

Note: SMA in their components page shows it makes .308 AND .311 bullets.....okay...I may have to buy some tracers from them now.

THANK YOU!!! for the link.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I've loaded and fired many M-62 tracer projectiles in 7.62x39mm with very good results. Most ".308" military surplus pulls range from .307"-.309" and most 7.62x39mm military projectiles I've pulled range .309"-.311" with .310" being the most common...

Shooting .308" in an AK is not the end of the world.

Since one does not shoot tracers for accuracy, any lost due to the diameter difference is outweighed by the inherent inaccuracies of tracer projectiles in general.

The most noticeable difference is in trajectory compared to mil spec T-45 tracer, which uses a lighter weight projectile with a higher velocity..

1DD

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top