Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 8:58:26 PM EDT
On ammo that is. Basically, how much x39 for three  arms in this caliber?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
This depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much room you have to store it all.
Many members on here buy a crate/1000rds or more when deals come up, same with magazines, which you should be filling with that ammo you're buying.
Personally, I'd want a baseline of 1K rounds per gun, minimum.

The saying here goes "Buy it cheap, stack it deep".
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
30k across all calibers

For the most part I wouldn't say youd ever lose money on it.  as long as you keep it free of rust I consider it an investment if you don't use it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
as much as you can afford unless your guns sit for years
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how much you shoot

I like to have 20k+ combined
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#5]
When you run out places to put it.

Who knows what the future of imported ammo has for us.Buy when its cheap or cry later
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I try to buy a case when it goes on sale and I currently have 4500 rounds for 2 ak rifles. This is plenty for me since I mainly shoot AR's. My aks go to the range about once a month and get a mag or two fired through them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I like to have a minimum of 1000 rounds of quality FMJ stashed that I do not touch for each gun that I shoot in addition to the rounds that I plan to shoot. (I shoot all of them, but some very rarely)

If I have several then the number may drop a little, maybe 500 each for each rifle above the fifth one.

I also like to keep about 200 rounds of quality SD ammo per gun.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
2000 to 5000 per caliber.  More is better.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Never enough.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+1

3,000,000 to 7,000,000 rounds

http://www.SGAmmo.com
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you run out places to put it.

Who knows what the future of imported ammo has for us.Buy when its cheap or cry later

+1

3,000,000 to 7,000,000 rounds

http://www.SGAmmo.com

Yeah, but when are you adding more 5.45 GT to that stash of yours?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
We used to say, and I still do from time to time, "how much can you carry on you".  If and when the SHTF happens, that might be all the chance you get to carry what you can.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:...Buy when its cheap or cry later
View Quote

This. I don't stock up in fear of zombies or blue-helmets. For me it's primarily about economy. My sons & I just a year or two ago shot up the last of a batch of 9mm fmj bought at Academy during a sale. Fifty-round boxes still had the $3.99 stickers on them, which made it a lot less painful to blast away recreationally. Similarly we still have some x39 bought at (iirc) $84 per 1200. I do reload most of my calibers, but it's still a good feeling to have a bunch of cheaply-bought factory stuff on hand. For my use, my now-grown sons' use, or their kids' use, whatever; much like having deep stocks of any consumable whether motor oil, fuel, or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I buy as much as I can afford as much as possible. Usually around 3k-5k of various caliber a per year.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I like to have a min of 4,000 per caliber and much higher for 22LR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I like to have all of my 30+ magazines loaded, a 30 Cal ammo can full, a 50 Cal Ammo Can full and a Spam Can.

Right now I have the 30+ mags full, the 50 Cal Ammo can full and the Spam Can.  I'm almost there.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]
As much as you can afford!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Never enough.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#19]
at least engough to get through any price spikes and keep shooting . Look at 22 ammo as an example .
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I like to keep 1000 in reserve for every firearm, after that as much as I can afford. Though I will say I do take into account what I'll realistically fire in a year, and go off of that. To me there's no point in having enough ammo for 50 years' worth, as I can be spending that money on something else.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
For each caliber, have:
What you shoot in a year's worth + 1000 (500 if fullsize rifle round, 5000 if 22lr)
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
My rule of thumb is at least a year's worth of ammo for every firearm you own, ammo prices bounce around worse than gas prices so being able to dip into your reserves when the prices shoot up is just smart. I stock WAY more than that though, a lot of it is surplus ammo like Yugo M67 and 7N6, surplus ammo never stays cheap forever. But when it is cheap, I buy it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Lately I have been buying a case of 1000, shooting 500 rounrounds, buy another 1000, repeat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Lately I have been buying a case of 1000, shooting 500 rounrounds, buy another 1000, repeat.
View Quote

This sounds like an excellent strategy. Not sure what my comfort level is, guess I'll know when I get there, but this will surely help me do it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#25]

If money is tight - by all means budget what you can afford, but know what constitutes a good deal.  For me.  I buy it in 1K round cases when it goes on sale for what I consider a "good price".  I've been doing this for years and I alternate which calibers I stock up on.  This puts me in the position of never having to buy overpriced ammo when a scare or elections hit.  I'm always good to go.   Lately I haven't been to the range as much as I used to, so the stock pile adds up.  The next question is, do you go to  the range on a regular basis?  If so, that changes things.  I, personally, would want a years worth of ammo shot at the range +1K in additional storage at any given time per caliber.  That is my minimum.  Everyone has their own way of doing things, and ammo really isn't getting any cheaper!

I know people who never go to the range and 500 rounds will last them 5-10 years of plinking.  I can blow 500 rnds at the range in an afternoon having fun.  Everyone's needs are different.  Questions you may want to ask yourself:  Are you only plinking at the range once or twice a year; do you only really need quality ammo for hunting; are you prepping for SHTF situations; or planning for a full on apocalypse?  Do you re-load?  These are all variables you should consider.  Also keep in mind that one day we may not be able to buy bulk ammo online....or bulk in general, so plan ahead.

I tell my wife I can have a case of ammo for ever pair of shoes she has in the closet.  Now we both stay happy!

EDIT: Also, appreciate your ammo stock and don't be a douche bag and sell on Gunbroker at astronomical prices during a scare. Just sayin'.  We all need to look out after each other.

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#26]
You can never have too much

I always keep a minimum of 1,500 rounds per gun long-term, and then try to keep at least 500 as leeway for practice/plinking in between times I can't get ammo.  Then whatever on-top of that I can afford to stash.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Honestly, my absolute MINIMUM is 1K for each gun I own. That would be maybe a 80/20 mix of range fodder and defense loads.

That being said, look for deals. They pop-up from time to time and be ready to pounce.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Whatever amount you can comfortably afford to buy without going into the poor house, the last thing you want to do is buy ammo (or anything else) if its going to affect you or your family's ability to pay bills, or affect you or your family financially in a negative manner, no one is going to have the same "comfort" level. Myself personally, I don't buy during a panic, I buy when its either on sale or a reasonable price, same with magazines. I buy for economic reasons, ie price increases due to import bans or panic buying, this way I don't have to worry about paying astronomical prices or none being available for an extended period of time.

There are a several ways that can help mitigate the cost of ammo and magazines.

1) If you have friends who consume the same caliber who are local that you shoot with, you can split the cost then divvy up the ammo accordingly.
2) Have a friend(s) buy it when its on sale if you cannot afford to buy it at the time and then repay them when you get the money, I would suggest only do this if you can afford to pay them back in a reasonable amount of time.
3) Set change aside at the end of each day, you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up, then buy ammo when you have enough to buy it.
4) Set $10 a week aside, in a years time you'd have $520 or in six months you have $260, or whatever amount of money you can set aside along with the change, you could buy a sizable amount of ammo over 12 months time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#29]
What's considered a good price right now? I see 700 rnd spam cans for $170
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

EDIT: Also, appreciate your ammo stock and don't be a douche bag and sell on Gunbroker at astronomical prices during a scare. Just sayin'.  We all need to look out after each other.

View Quote

Actually this helps ammo prices return to normal faster as the ammo from your stash helps make up for the increased demand.

Supply and Demand how does it work?
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top