Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/26/2014 8:00:52 PM EDT
is this stuff supposed to be laqure coated? i thought the cases were bare steel. it does have the vmax bullet though?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that the cases are coated with lacquer. They have their own bullet of correct caliber for 5.45 and it is the VMax type construction.

I've gone through about several hundred and think it is first rate stuff.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39-60-gr-V-MAX-Steel-Case/

Hornady says its polymer coated.  Every ad I have ever seen for the stuff said polymer coated.  

Why, did you get some that was laquer coated?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#3]
ya they look like 7n6 cases with vmax bullets and the headstamp says "HMC 5.45X39"
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 2:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ya they look like 7n6 cases with vmax bullets and the headstamp says "HMC 5.45X39"
View Quote

Did you buy this recently?  All mine are polymer coated.  I'd love to get my hands on lacquered Hornady VMAX!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought them today and the lot number is 3132880
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
So I just shot these. They seem waaay hotter than 7n6. And its pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you buy this recently?  All mine are polymer coated.  I'd love to get my hands on lacquered Hornady VMAX!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like all the recent lots in the last 6 months or so have come in lacquer coated. Whether it's the new norm or what is anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seems like all the recent lots in the last 6 months or so have come in lacquer coated. Whether it's the new norm or what is anybody's guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to pick some up then.  I haven't purchased any 5.45 VMAX in almost a year since I'm still sitting on 500+ rounds of the older polymer coated VMAX.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Could be they have a contract with Russia, Ukraine, or some other former Warsaw Pact outfit, who knows.  Perhaps contract has clause about providing equivalent in another style case, and circumstances have dictated this is what they get now for same or similar price.

A quick call to their customer service would probably clarify it fast.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I did not expect it to be hotter than 7n6. Stuff is pretty accurate though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Well thats the most knowledgable answer by SGammo.  

I was going to add I had bought some V-Max a month ago (from SGammo) and it was lacquer coated.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top