Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
A friend of mine came across some 7.62 x 39 ammo marked 539/81 and 270/58 they are all copper washed. I've looked up the numbers and 539 is the Tula plant and 270 is a Ukrainian plant. Research I've done leads me to believe these are steel core. Can anyone weigh in with some info. Also possible value per round. He also has rounds marked 17/58, 17/k. The boxes are brown with a number 6 on them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If they contain the original bullet they are indeed steel core.

But a large quantity of Russian surplus was recently released with a blunt nosed cheap Berry's copper plated swaged lead bullet in the steel core bullet's place to make it legal for civilian sales.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Cases were mfg in 1981 and 1958 for what its worth.  Without a picture, it's hard to tell if steel core or not, but I'd say they were based on the info provided.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel core, corrosive. Not AP. Some guys think they must have steel core and will pay a premium for it if you have cases or half-cases.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top