Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/7/2014 6:49:10 PM EDT
You all think commercial 5.45 will still be available for some time?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, lots of AK74's out there. As long as there is demand.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you all think would be the 7n6 equivilant or close in terms of commercial ammo?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot some of the Silver Bear stuff, It shoots well and is non-corrosive.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, this caliber is here to stay in the U.S. Plenty of demand with all the AKs, AR uppers and even some bolt-actions and a TAVOR conversion. The future issues for this cartridge (in the U.S.) will be price per round versus performance. All that surplus 7n6 was the perfect combination with high performance and low cost.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you all think would be the 7n6 equivalent or close in terms of commercial ammo?
View Quote

as far as terminal performance the best commercial offering is probably Hornady 60gr. V-Max but the price per round is going to force most 5.45 fans to the cheaper commercial imports from Russia, Ukraine, Bosnia, Romania, etc.

"roll your own" is a doable endeavour but requires a bit of initial investment, component searches and load development. It also negates one of the previous big pluses for this round; the ability to shoot up a thousand rounds in an afternoon with friends and not worry about finding every precious piece of your spent brass.

Honestly, there is still plenty (but a finite amount) of surplus 7n6 out there that can be had for ~$200/tin. Even at $250/tin ($.23/round) it is still high quality, mil-spec ammunition selling for less than the cheapest (low powered, inaccurate, poor terminal performance) 5.56x45 that you would be willing to run through any rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#6]
So even with the sanctions on Russian, what 5.45 ammo will be available to us?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So even with the sanctions on Russian, what 5.45 ammo will be available to us?
View Quote

All of it at this point (minus 7N6).
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought some russian ammo would have been kabashed. So silver bear is good for a while? ukraine wolf ammo wihtout the ar projectile, that makes me feel uneasy. do not feel confortabble shooting that stuff. So what ammo other than 7n6 is affected by thr russian sanctions?
"
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought some russian ammo would have been kabashed. So silver bear is good for a while? ukraine wolf ammo wihtout the ar projectile, that makes me feel uneasy. do not feel confortabble shooting that stuff. So what ammo other than 7n6 is affected by thr russian sanctions?
"
View Quote

The executive order banned the further importation of Ukrainian ammo from Donetsk (which pretty much means all Ukrainian ammo) and possibly Russian ammo from Tula and Ulyanovsk. I say "possibly" because Tula/Uly and Kalashnikov Concern are all owned by Rostec, but Kalashnikov Concern itself doesn't own Tula/Uly. Since Rostec isn't named in the executive order, just Kalashnikov, it all depends on how nitpicky the Treasury Dept. wants to be about the familial-relationship.

Frankly, no one who knows the answer has, to my knowledge, come out and said which Russian ammo manufacturers are GTG and which aren't. About the only thing I know for sure is that Barnaul is safe, so you'll keep getting your Silver Bear. And there was certainly no shortage of Tula/Uly in the country when the sanctions came down, so there's plenty out there on store shelves.

The ban on 7N6 had nothing to do with the President's sanctions on Russia. That was the result of a war-of-wills with the ATF that we lost.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#10]
So no more Red army standard?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So no more Red army standard?
View Quote

RAS is still coming in from Romania and Serbia.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine says made in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine says made in Ukraine.
View Quote

"Red Army Standard" is just a Century Arms marketing brand like "HotShot". They order ammunition from many different factories depending on the price, available production and politics and have it all packaged similarly.

It all comes from recognized manufacturers and may vary in performance depending on the components but should all be safe to shoot and is lot numbered if problem lots are ever identified.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top