Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 10:24:37 PM EDT
I bought some spam cans of what I was told was Romanian 5.45x39 ammo. I've bought many cans of surplus 5.45, with 1080 rounds in them, and these were the same weight and shape.

However, it looks like the importer painted over the top and put English marking. "Romanian," "7N6,' and "800" rounds.

800 rounds?  Is that correct? It is the same shape and weight as the 1080 round cans. Do these come on stripper clips? Did the Romanians use a lot of insulation/packing?  

Does anyone have any experience with these?

(Don't want to open one of the cans to find out, as I'd like to keep it for long term storage.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
All the 5.45 I've bought has been in 1080 round cans.  The 7.62x54r I've bought has been 440 rounds in a can, but the cans are similar in size and shape.  I think the 7.62x39 might be around 800 per can.  You'll probably have to open it up and make sure what you got.  I've even bought 8mm Mauser in that size can too.

Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes OP that can is 800 rounds.  Had some back in the day & still retain one.  Ammo is average in accuracy, lacquer case & sealed.  FMJ.  However, mine was N/C commercial manufacture, not 7N6 milsurp.

Assuming what you have is NOS and not some heretofore unseen new production.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes OP that can is 800 rounds.  Had some back in the day & still retain one.  Ammo is average in accuracy, lacquer case & sealed.  FMJ.  However, mine was N/C commercial manufacture, not 7N6 milsurp.

Assuming what you have is NOS and not some heretofore unseen new production.
View Quote

What fills the space that would normally hold another 280 rounds?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It's possible they packaged the rounds in a different orientation; for example, there are quite a few ways to pack a .50 cal can with 20rd boxes of 7.62x39, but not all of them will yield 1000rds in the can even though they still fill it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you actually weigh the can?  You said it was the same weight, or does it just "feel" the same?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Can either of you post a picture ad i have never seen a romanian spam can of 5,45. I know they exist buy they are rare birds. Post a polish can also if you have any. Never seen them either. Please and thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#7]

"What fills the space that would normally hold another 280 rounds?"

Cartridges are packed in boxes instead of wrapped in paper.  =  bulkier packaging.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"What fills the space that would normally hold another 280 rounds?"

Cartridges are packed in boxes instead of wrapped in paper.  =  bulkier packaging.
View Quote

This.

IIRC- This may be boxed as "HotShot" for Century. I perchased several tins years ago. It was good stuff. Non-corrosive and reasonably accurate. Good range ammo if you don't want to commit yourself to a complete take down and cleaning immediately afterwards.

but yeah, 800 rounds.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top