Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 11:47:53 AM EDT
Found some South African 7.62x39 brass cased 123 grain ammo in a 1400 round wood crate.Crate is marked South African and the ammo is in 7- 200 round sealed battle packs.

I know this hasnt been around for sometime now.Is it good ammo,what is the value on this ammo?

Is it corrosive? Did a search not much showed up.Might buy it if its any good and has some value to it.

" />
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot that stuff and I have 2 battle packs of the 5.56mm stuff from years ago still in my safe.  As the label says, it is non-corrosive.  Shoot it and have fun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wondering as most surplus is considered corrosive and this says its not on the box.

Havent bought it yet as i wanted to see if its any better or worth more than the regular x39 out there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It's ok ammo for blasting away.  There is nothing special about it.  It is not match grade or anything like it but for plinking and paper punching it is fine.  It is non-corrosive but you should still be in the habit of cleaning your weapon after each firing session.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's ok ammo for blasting away.  There is nothing special about it.  It is not match grade or anything like it but for plinking and paper punching it is fine.  It is non-corrosive but you should still be in the habit of cleaning your weapon after each firing session.
View Quote

Thanks,i thought it might be on par with Yugo M67 and saved for a rainy day.

I think i will pass on it,guy wants $375 for the crate of 1400 rounds.Not bad i guess, but i could buy a crate of Yugo for that.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think i will pass on it,guy wants $375 for the crate of 1400 rounds.Not bad i guess, but i could buy a crate of Yugo for that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a decent price for what is, if your looking for collectors reasons snag it up, if your just looking for plinking ammo then pass for sure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought broke out some of this ammo to shoot at the machine-gun shoot a few years back, and that is the only ammo I have ever rusted the heck out of a gun with, the muzzle break was caked in rust when i went to clean the gun a few days latter and the gas tube ports were rusty as well, It was also super-humid Oklahoma summer day at the range but I believe that the non-corrosive labeling on the SA 762X39 may be incorrect. The 223 and 308 I have shot was all non-cursive but I have my doubts about the 762x39.
View Quote

Thanks Sam, good to know.Not good for the rifle that shot the ammo.I had read that some guys claimed it was corrosive and some say that it wasnt.Im guessing it probably is since its military ammo.

Guess its best to clean as if it is corrosive if your not sure just to be safe.Glad i passed on it as im not an ammo collector, i like to shoot my ammo.

Thanks guy for the replies, you saved me some cash and a possible headache.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the SA 5.56 , it shot well except for the one round that they forgot to drill the flash hole for, it exploded the head. But my DR200 survived without damage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used the SA 5.56 , it shot well except for the one round that they forgot to drill the flash hole for, it exploded the head. But my DR200 survived without damage.
View Quote

Thats a tough Daewoo,glad it wasnt damaged.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It's still pretty cool as a collector's item. I have an odd ball ammo collection and love finding old unique stuff like that. I have some odd 2 and half inch 12 gauge from south Africa, which I still don't know why exists, but hey to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the powder never went off since there was no flash hole, it would have been really exciting if the powered was ignited some how. The head ruptured at the extractor and the extractor was able to move out enough there was no damage. The ammo was really cheap back in the early 90's and other than that one incident it worked great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know what the rest of you are talking about but I purchased and shot metric buttloads of this ammo back when it was $0.11/round. I have fired more than 20,000 rounds through a number of guns and NEVER had an issue with it being corrosive even after a looooong time between cleanings. It find it MUCH more accurate than ANYTHING else I have shot (7.62x39 wise). This is good stuff. I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the bullet (since I try to avoid gunfights ) but this is a full powered round that has never given me any trouble in any gun.

I still have a couple 1400 round plywood crates that I am saving for the Apocalypse
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I totally agree, those rounds are great. The story I heard was that South Africa produced these rounds because they had so many captured AK47's from all the Communist "Terr's " they were dropping.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
What color were the battle packs this ammo was in?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
clear battle packs
View Quote

and packed in little Chinese take-out boxes of 25rounds each.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
clear battle packs
View Quote

That's what I thought.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top