Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2014 11:03:24 PM EDT
As topic states....
I have a new, unfired Arsenal SAM7SF that's collecting dust....
Anyways, "in general" is HP just as dependable as FMJ in an AK?
Any downside /negative with using HP versus FMJ?

Also, how does soft point cycle/function?

I ask because I have a pile of HP purchased a while ago to feed my SKS rifles.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Some AK's I've heard have had issues with HP's. However most don't. Try a few boxes out and see if your ammo, mags and rifle work together well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the Chinese AKs do not have a slight beveled "feed ramp" at the bottom of the chamber face. I had a MAK 90 like this and it would not feed HP reliably. I found instructions on the 'net on how to use a dremel tool to put a bevel in and it cured the feed problem. All of my other AKs have this bevel right from the factory.

1DD
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Soft points should work fine...I have shot tons of it.

JHP's may give you some issues but after shooting a few you should know.  Its the flat tip (very small flat tip but it is flat) that causes the issue.  A friend of mine had an SKS that just would not load a JHP at all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
never had one problem with it with probably over 1k rounds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Never had a feed issue with HP or soft points in any AK i have ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My Sam7 eats everything I feed it. HP, SP, FMJ, etc. Reliable is its middle name.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My Chinese gun feeds it my Romanian had issues that are now cured
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The only round ive ever seen hang up a bit is PPU soft point round nose. Its an odd duck for 7.62x39 ammo. It seems to sheer a bit of the exposed lead in my veprs and saigas if you ride the carrier home. If you just yank the carrier and let it slam hone the rounds chamber fine. And that would only be an issue first shot thru a mag. The rest would obviously cycle when the gun is fired.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top