Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/10/2014 12:06:25 PM EDT

UGHhhhhhh!  I bought 2k rounds of 7.62 Tula HP ammo when it was on sale locally when I bought my AK about a month or two ago.  Humidity in my shop at the time was around 80% so I promptly got a dehumidifier in there and it's now in the 50-60% range.  Preparing to go to range this weekend so I loaded up about 12-13 mags and some of the ammo, moreso on top of an opened box had some surface rust on the cases.  Hoping they still shoot fine.  I guess I'll see how agreeable the M70 is with it.

Any concerns from members here?  Other than extraction issues, or mag feed issues I can't think of any real safety concerns.  maybe if they were badly rusted for years I might concerns myself with case rupture etc...  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It will shoot fine, dont worry about it.

I left 3 rounds outside in the rain,cold, hot, etc for 3 months to test to see if they would fire.The cases were rusted over 90% and the bullets were a weird color.

All three rounds fired and ejected without issue, and they were really rough looking.

Keep that ammo in a steel ammo can with a good seal and you wont have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I was just getting ready to post about this. I bought 1000 rounds of tulammo early this summer, I shot alot of it and stored it in my basement that is very humid. The remaining ammo has a few rust spots and has hang fires. Most are so slight u can hardly tell every once in a while one will hang for half a second then go off and one didn't go off at all. I have some Barnaul ammo that I've had for 20 years, goes off every time with no delay, it has been stored in the same place. The ammo I stored up stairs works fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It will probably shoot better with rust. Heck it is an ak
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually shooting mine through an AR and vz58, lol. Wonder why they don't seal the cases anymore, that would solve the problem and make the ammo much more reliable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Shot some yesterday.   Fireded and cycled fine.  Accuracy sucked compared to me ar but optics and shooter could be a lot of that.   Could still hit steel plate at 100yrs 2/3 time.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top