User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody has mention Arsenal 7.62X39.

Brass cased ,boxer primed, non corrosive, sealed primer and case mouth. non magnetic.  Made in Bulgaria.

;
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the wolf corrosive? I plan on buying plinking ammo and also stock pile some ammo also. I have used non of this ammo everyone is talking about been out of it a while. I know to stay away from polymer wolf for plinking. I will have to find laquered ones but won't buy it if corrosive. I might buy some m67 for rainy day but like to try some golden tiger out. I've not tried red army either. The arsenal stuff does others here say its good?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody has mention Arsenal 7.62X39.

Brass cased ,boxer primed, non corrosive, sealed primer and case mouth. non magnetic.  Made in Bulgaria.

;
View Quote

Good stuff.  I've got around 600rds of it in my 7.62x39 stash.  Roughly .50 ct/rd so it's not the cheapest load out there, but brass cased plus sealed primer and neck sealed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the wolf corrosive? I plan on buying plinking ammo and also stock pile some ammo also. I have used non of this ammo everyone is talking about been out of it a while. I know to stay away from polymer wolf for plinking. I will have to find laquered ones but won't buy it if corrosive. I might buy some m67 for rainy day but like to try some golden tiger out. I've not tried red army either. The arsenal stuff does others here say its good?
View Quote

There are/were some batches of Wolf labeled as "non-corrosive" that turned out to be, in fact, corrosive. In most (all?) of those cases the Wolf was being sold in white, un-branded boxes or being sold without any Wolf guarantee. I don't know why you'd want to stay away from polymer Wolf. Polymer-coated cases appear to be less resistant to corrosion than lacquer, but that's all a matter of how you, the buyer, store it. Stored properly, polymer-coated cases will last as long as you need them to. And while you can still find laquer-coated Wolf and Brown Bear, most everyone has gone to poly now, so all those sweet deals will pass you by while youre waiting/searching for lacquered ammo or living with substandard ammo that happens to be laquer-coated.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Polymer-coated cases appear to be less resistant to corrosion than lacquer, but that's all a matter of how you, the buyer, store it. Stored properly, polymer-coated cases will last as long as you need them to.

This first sentence is factually inaccurate. The polymer coat cases are prone to rusting much more quickly than the lacquer coated cases. This is the reason why lacquer coated cases are sought after. Are polymer coated cases fine for plinking, yes. For storage, if stored properly, yes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Polymer-coated cases appear to be less resistant to corrosion than lacquer, but that's all a matter of how you, the buyer, store it. Stored properly, polymer-coated cases will last as long as you need them to.

This first sentence is factually inaccurate. The polymer coat cases are prone to rusting much more quickly than the lacquer coated cases. This is the reason why lacquer coated cases are sought after. Are polymer coated cases fine for plinking, yes. For storage, if stored properly, yes.
View Quote

Re-read my first sentence. I said exactly the same thing you did.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

One thing about steel cased ammo, it can rust on the interior of the case. i have some Romanian 5.45 that im going to scrap due to split necks when firing and interior rust.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One thing about steel cased ammo, it can rust on the interior of the case. i have some Romanian 5.45 that im going to scrap due to split necks when firing and interior rust.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't looking to sell that bad ammo are you?  I am looking for the projectiles to load with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry if I missed it
Where does Silver Bear rate?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you can find cheap.

In my case, is either Silver Bear, PPU or Tulammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I buy Wolf to plink with and with whenever Golden Tiger is available I buy a case or two for my long term storage stash. IMO, Golden Tiger is the most reliable, most accurate 7.62x39 ammo out there. I've never had a problem with Silver Bear, I would rank it above Wolf, but below GT. I've never used M67 and frankly don't really care to. Corrosive ammo means cleaning your AK every time you shoot it...ain't nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry if I missed it
Where does Silver Bear rate?
View Quote

Quality-wise, equal to Brown Bear. As far as long term corrosion resistance, slightly better than poly-coated cases but not nearly as good as laquer-coated cases.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Golden Tiger...Hard to find...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
In my completely inexpert opinion, Federal Fusion is the absolute best terminal effect available at any price.

If price is an issue, as it usually is, I think that S&B 123 gr soft point is the best balance of terminal effect, accuracy (true 0.311" bullet), and cost.

If even that is too much for you, any of the Wolf/Tula/Bear brands in a soft point should do well. The Tula 154 gr soft point performs well but the lower velocity means significant POI change, which is not conducive to combat accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow!  That's certainly not the same Wolf HP ammo I shot 15-20 years ago.  The hole was definitely smaller, and also didn't seem to expand worth a darn.  It also would hang up feeding in my MAKs, so I never bought it again and stuck with FMJ.

I grabbed a screenshot from your video.  All newer Wolf HP like this?  If so, I'll have to jump on a few cases.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/15771463680_3117cb0116_o.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That "Old stock/Lot#A445" that SGAmmo was selling around 6 months ago is good stuff.  

Gel test

I bought 2.5 cases of this stuff back when it was 21cpr to use for blasting ammo but I'll probably hang onto it and shoot something else for blasting ammo now that I saw how good it does in gel.

I have 2 cases of Golden Tiger that was my original "stash for a rainy day" ammo.  

Wow!  That's certainly not the same Wolf HP ammo I shot 15-20 years ago.  The hole was definitely smaller, and also didn't seem to expand worth a darn.  It also would hang up feeding in my MAKs, so I never bought it again and stuck with FMJ.

I grabbed a screenshot from your video.  All newer Wolf HP like this?  If so, I'll have to jump on a few cases.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/15771463680_3117cb0116_o.jpg

Hollow point Wolf/Tula/etc. is real hit or miss in regards to terminal effect. I would vastly prefer a soft point to a Russian hollow point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like any ammo with the Sapsan 8M3 124 grain hollow point.  Ulyanovsk plant makes it.  Fist it was imported under their name in white and black, white and light blue, and green boxes.  Then Wolf Military classic was using it for awhile.  2014 production Tulammo (124 grain HP Only) is using it.  Make sure it says Ulyanovsk on the box.  The bullet is a little more rounded in the ogive that other 122s and 124 HPs, and it has pre-fail cuts in the HP cavity.

Good youtube video on 8M3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrS-kya8xVA

View Quote

The problem is that there is no current, reliable source for ammunition that uses the 8M3 projectile. There are 124 gr hollow point projectiles out there that do have cuts on the inside but do NOT perform like the 8M3.

I tested Tula 124 gr HP and went to post the video just now but realized I had never actually put the video together.  

I'll edit it and post it right now.

ETA: Here it is.

Link for phones

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top