Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/15/2014 11:11:55 AM EDT
How do you store your specialty 7.62x39 ammo?

I've been purchasing boxes of Hornady SST rounds but storing them in ammo cans has been annoying. Two boxes or 100rds takes up more space than the equivalent amount of Golden Tiger in standard paper boxes.

Would there be an issue of repacking specialty rounds, ie SST, PDX, soft points, etc, into smaller paper boxes? Are there other ideas of repacking these rounds into a more compact package?

Seems that all the plastic and foam used in the specialty boxes takes up more room than needed. From what I could tell a few boxes of Winchester PDX would fill up a .30cal can very quickly.

I have been thinking of these paper repack boxes I've seen on eBay. Anyone use this style?
eBay - 7.62x39 Repack Boxes 100x - 30rd
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I might be wrong, but I think those are 20 round boxes (if that matters).

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I leave all ammo in original boxes in case there is a recall or i need to sell them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
me personally, in mags, marked with tape.

Ready to go, no confusion.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi,

Paper boxes alone don't cut it for me after the move to polymer coatings on 7.62x39 cases.. I also pack the paper boxes into a non-water permeable plastic for good measure.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not save the boxes for your GT, Wolf, BB, etc. after each range trip?  Save the brown paper separators too, then repack your Hornady into the used boxes, and relabel them with a piece of tape?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How do you store your specialty 7.62x39 ammo?

I've been purchasing boxes of Hornady SST rounds but storing them in ammo cans has been annoying. Two boxes or 100rds takes up more space than the equivalent amount of Golden Tiger in standard paper boxes.

Would there be an issue of repacking specialty rounds, ie SST, PDX, soft points, etc, into smaller paper boxes? Are there other ideas of repacking these rounds into a more compact package?

Seems that all the plastic and foam used in the specialty boxes takes up more room than needed. From what I could tell a few boxes of Winchester PDX would fill up a .30cal can very quickly.

I have been thinking of these paper repack boxes I've seen on eBay. Anyone use this style?
eBay - 7.62x39 Repack Boxes 100x - 30rd
View Quote

Save the original packaging and go with RePackBoxes and Ammo Cans.  The only way you'll fit more into an ammo can and protect your ammo is to possibly put the ammo on stripper clips and into bandoleers.  But you are talking a lot more money for strippers/bandoleers.  By some desiccant  while your at it from RepackBox.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
You can only have too many ammo cans if you are carrying them, swimming, or on fire.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People ask me about repacking ammo regularly and I would always advise leaving in the original packaging. Ammo is a great thing because it never goes bad and retains value well, and if you want to trade or sell that ammo in 10 years it will be worth so much more in original boxes and be much easier to market
View Quote

This.  I don't open or touch ammo packaging until I'm ready to shoot it - especially if we're talking about hermetically sealed packaging or tins/crates.  If I'm buying ammo from a private party, I'll pay market value for unopened boxes, but NOT for loose rounds in a ziplock.  Loose rounds would take a 20% discount for me to consider them.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top