Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2014 10:17:52 PM EDT
I have a Waffen Werks AK (yes, I know the bad rep) that seems to like mainly 7n6 ammo. I purchased 500 or so 5.45 Wolf when I got the gun along with 3 cans of 7n6. I first tried to shoot through the Wolf but I constantly started having stuck casing failures to extract. I opened one of my cans of 7n6 recently and ran about 90 rounds through the rifle and it shot fine. I loaded a mag of Wolf and I had the failure with the first shot. Is the Wolf just bad ammo just a bad batch? Or maybe the rifle might not like it? I find it weird having a AK that doesn't like one type of ammo. My other AKs chew threw Tula, Wolf, Klimosvsk, Red Army and Golden Tiger. Should I attempt to contact Wolf? It was about 25 cents per round I paid for the ammo, I assume that's wasted money?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just sell it.  My 74's like wolf just fine and it actually shoots a little more accurately.

I'm betting you have a US barrel with a tight chamber.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just sell it.  My 74's like wolf just fine and it actually shoots a little more accurately.
I'm betting you have a US barrel with a tight chamber.
View Quote

This.

Your money wasn't wasted on the ammunition.  It was wasted on the gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume it'll be hard to sell? With the 7n6 ban and all? With the Waffen Werks rep I assume I'll lose a good chunk of cash. I also have about $200 dollars tied up in mags and more in ammo. It'll be kind of a pain to buy a arsenal or another 74.

Will the chamber loosen up some after 3240 rounds? Maybe after working through the surplus it'll break it in a bit.

It's a nice rifle otherwise. The wood cleaned up good and has a working spring door in the stock. The metal finish is pretty good and I think the DDI guys smoothed up the action.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
i had some FTE and FTFs with my WW with Wolf, Silver Bear, sent it back, they tried several times to replicate the problems, finally they did. They said they tuned the ejector, havent had a problem  with the 40 rds I shot thru it since. Since i would feel bad selling it to another, I figure at least I have a nice Bulgy Ak74 kit. If it  acts up again, I will look around for a AK74 receiver. The WW has a WW receiver.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I assume it'll be hard to sell? With the 7n6 ban and all? With the Waffen Werks rep I assume I'll lose a good chunk of cash.
View Quote

I think he meant just sell the Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe polish the chamber , inspect the spent cases any marks or burrs ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume it'll be hard to sell? With the 7n6 ban and all? With the Waffen Werks rep I assume I'll lose a good chunk of cash.

Or trade it for milsurp.   Put it up on your local board.  I would trade you 1 for 1 if ammo wasn't such a pita to ship.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe polish the chamber , inspect the spent cases any marks or burrs ?
View Quote

What tool would be best to polish the chamber? The casings usually have powder marks on them and the rim looks like it's been taken a piece off.

I'll look into selling the stuff or just stuff it into the back of the closet. Maybe I'll pick up a box of Red Army next gunshow to see if it likes that stuff.

It's weird commercial Wolf has enough differences in diameter then milsurplus to have it stick in the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Sell the rifle.People are buying 545 rifles if you have it priced fair.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
My Arsenal '105 eats everything I feed it without a hitch.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

What does that have to do with the OP's problem??
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not a thing.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried or thought about replacing your AK recoil spring? The waffen werks rifles are built on surplus kits, and the spring could possibly be original to the parts kit(shot 20,000 rounds). I believe an older spring may not be giving you as much pressure as a new one. I replaced all of mine with chrome silicon ones from damage industries. It's like a $10 change, and my 4 waffens have no issues whatsoever.

This is the spring I'm talking about, and you remove that little piece on the right, push the spring down while doing it, and spring comes right off. This girl actually explains it pretty well here on video.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is the problem for sure, but it's something I do with all my guns because it's cheap, and I don't know how many rounds were shot through it before the kit was built.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#14]
It should like the 7n6.  That's what it was designed to shoot.  Since it's a new rifle , I say shoot 300 more rounds of the 7ns and then slip in a couple rounds of wolf.  I've owned/built several and sometimes it takes a little use to smooth things out.  If you shoot a tin of 7n6 with no issues and the wolf acts up again, try something like silver bear.  Them you'll know for sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
its not just you op today I had 2 fried cases fail to extract from my CAI tantal. that was in just half a box. the ammo was wolf wpa 55 gr hp. they feed fine and are pretty accurate but don't extract just  like your waffen. but it runs just fine on 7n6
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of the Wolf 55g rounds fail to go into battery, causing jams.  I looked up some reviews of the stuff and it seems to be a common occurance; apparently the bullets are slightly oversized in diameter, closer to a 5.56 bullet than a 5.45.  I'm gonna stop using it altogether.

Update, 9/14:  I pulled a bullet and found it to be .221 inches in diameter, just like it is supposed to be for this caliber.  Now I'm not sure why I have jamming problems with this ammo.  It is NOTICEABLY shorter than a 7n6 round, maybe 3/16" shorter.  Could this be affecting the feeding mechanism???
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of the Wolf 55g rounds fail to go into battery, causing jams.  I looked up some reviews of the stuff and it seems to be a common occurance; apparently the bullets are slightly oversized in diameter, closer to a 5.56 bullet than a 5.45.  I'm gonna stop using it altogether.

Update, 9/14:  I pulled a bullet and found it to be .221 inches in diameter, just like it is supposed to be for this caliber.  Now I'm not sure why I have jamming problems with this ammo.  It is NOTICEABLY shorter than a 7n6 round, maybe 3/16" shorter.  Could this be affecting the feeding mechanism???
View Quote

I have heard of issues with 55gr hp wolf on multiple occasions

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#18]
I had the same issue with a new 5.45 AR, ran 7N6, Red Army Standard, Monarch & Silver Bear just fine but jammed once on Wolf Military Classic. Got stuck enough I had to tap it out with a rod. I've read several complaints on Wolf 5.45 getting stuck in both ARs & AKs, one poster had mic'd several brands and the Wolf was significantly larger in one area, might have been around the shoulder. I just put my Wolf in the back of the closet and will try it again after I've had a few hundred more rounds downrange. Wolf MC was one of the worst grouping ammo types I shot so I won't miss it in 5.45 although I have great luck with it in 7.62x39 & .223.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I took out the waffen werks 74 today and had multiple FTEs using Silver Bear 545.  7n6 ran perfectly but SB had about 5 out of 10 rounds FTE.  I even had an empty case get wedged between the dust cover and the receiver (right above the serial #)

extremely disappointed :(
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
OK.  I think I have my particular problem narrowed down (the Wolf 55g HP).  With my rifle, it is a magazine issue; I can shoot the Wolf all day as long as I use Circle 10 mags; anything else causes the FTF problems all over again.  I'm glad I found this out, because the Wolf ammo shoots much tighter groups than any other commercial (or surplus) ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
don't buy the short 5.45 rounds like the 55grn rounds; stick with 60grn or heavier (longer is what is important) rounds and you will be fine.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top