Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2014 1:02:08 AM EDT
So for those of you who are knowledgeable on Vietnam War history this thread title should seem familiar. For those who arent check out this link

When I was in Iraq (I am a 91F in the army or small arms and artillery repairer the mos used to be 45B) I came across multiple AK series rifles that had been fired with rounds that for lack of a better term had soldered them selves into the chamber and locked the action up tight.

I have always wondered about these occurances and figured that they were a modern version of the Vietnam era project to sabotage ammunition. I figured that this time around they didn't want the ammunition to blow guns up since it was discovered during Vietnam that sabotaged rounds ended up being captured and becoming parts of training stocks of ammunition for US forces with hazardous effect.

I have always wondered since what the heck was it that who ever was making up these rounds used to solder the cases into the chamber. We were able to break a couple of the cases free but were never able to determin anything.

Any ideas?

here is a video about the subject

Another interesting atricle
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps loaded with thermite?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw one too. I didn't see the round actually fired though. It was sitting in the armory and the armorers showed me and asked me to put word out to my Iraqi students about using captured ammo. For all I know, the armorers could have silver soldered the AK themselves.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Although something like a modern version of the sabotaged ammo used in 'Nam is certainly doable, and possible - it's 10 times more likely it is a case of bad ammo storage and/or weapon maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Could they have been parade rifles with the case soldered in place to keep them from being functional?

I remember when Sadat was killed the killers just jumped out of the parade and fired on the bleachers where Sadat and the generals were sitting.  They also threw hand grenades too.  It went like this:  

I could see paranoid people handing out special rifles for military parades to keep that from happening to them.

Rounds filled with thermite sound pretty cool too tho.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although something like a modern version of the sabotaged ammo used in 'Nam is certainly doable, and possible - it's 10 times more likely it is a case of bad ammo storage and/or weapon maintenance.
View Quote

Yeah ammo storage is a possibility. I never got the opportunity to see one of these guns lock up in person just the rifles afterward.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could they have been parade rifles with the case soldered in place to keep them from being functional?

I remember when Sadat was killed the killers just jumped out of the parade and fired on the bleachers where Sadat and the generals were sitting.  They also threw hand grenades too.  It went like this:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7fxIhXAIM

I could see paranoid people handing out special rifles for military parades to keep that from happening to them.

Rounds filled with thermite sound pretty cool too tho.  

View Quote

No these were guns that guys from the SF teams would bring over saying that they had been shooting them when they locked up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Not likely a sabotaged round. The whole purpose of Eldest Son and its successors (still going on in one form or another to this day from what I've been told) was to strike fear into the enemy that his ammunition would blow him up and kill him, not just make the rifle inoperable...

My experience with captured Iraqi AKs was that they had no idea about proper maintenance. Even with a chrome lined bore and chamber, improperly cleaned AKs or not cleaned at all, after using corrosive ammunition can cause rust and pitting.

Most likely a weapon/ammo condition related issue rather than subterfuge...

Just MHO. Pics and more information would be great though...

DD

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not likely a sabotaged round. The whole purpose of Eldest Son and its successors (still going on in one form or another to this day from what I've been told) was to strike fear into the enemy that his ammunition would blow him up and kill him, not just make the rifle inoperable...

My experience with captured Iraqi AKs was that they had no idea about proper maintenance. Even with a chrome lined bore and chamber, improperly cleaned AKs or not cleaned at all, after using corrosive ammunition can cause rust and pitting.

Most likely a weapon/ammo condition related issue rather than subterfuge...

Just MHO. Pics and more information would be great though...

DD

View Quote

Except some of these rifles looked like they spent most of thier lives in an armory. Ie 80-90% finish and no external rust. couldnt tell about the insides since we couldnt get them apart.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
High temperatures can cause powders to be less reactive over time, and the powder could just ignite and smolder in the case melting it to the chamber. The lead from the projectile would become a solder fusing the case in the chamber.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
High temperatures can cause powders to be less reactive over time, and the powder could just ignite and smolder in the case melting it to the chamber. The lead from the projectile would become a solder fusing the case in the chamber.

View Quote

sounds good in theory but generally when powder degrades you get sever hang fires or incomplete burns causing a squib. I have never heard about what you have mentioned as being a possible result.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top