BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/20/2014 1:45:02 PM EDT
Those in the know please advise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
7n6 has been banned from importation from what I've read.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
The ATF letter was pretty specific in that only Russian 5.45x39 was considered AP, and that any other 5.45x39 would need to be separately evaluated.

However, I'd bet a case of my Bulgarian that the next container of non-Russian 5.45x39 will be subject to the same scrutiny and receive the same ruling.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Any 5.45x39 with the projectile characteristics of 7n6 (or other types consisting of a steel core) is banned from importation.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Basically if it's 5.45 milsurp it's not getting into this country.  I'm just glad I got a Polish can and Bulgarian can in my collection right before the ban.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
did the Bulgy have the same type of projectile with steel core?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did the Bulgy have the same type of projectile with steel core?
View Quote

Yes, the Bulgarian milsurp equivalent shares the same steel sleeve construction as Russian 7N6.  It's not the same as a true steel core, but it doesn't seem to matter to the ATF.  I'm sure someone will attempt to import it, but once the ATF dissects a round the Bulgarian ammo will be specifically banned as well...same for Polish milsurp.  At this point I wouldn't expect to see 5.45 milsurp of any type imported ever again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
the real question is what's the diameter of the bullet from these other countries, if it is .220 or smaller it will be ok to import. Some russian 7n6 measures .220.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the real question is what's the diameter of the bullet from these other countries, if it is .220 or smaller it will be ok to import. Some russian 7n6 measures .220.
View Quote

That has nothing to do with it.  The ATF determination is based on section 921(a)(17)(B)(i) of the GCA which does not include projectile diameter as a defining characteristic.  If they used that section for their determination on Russian 7n6 specifically, they'll use it for any other source of ammunition made to the same spec.  And, they're going to do whatever they want anyway.  Unless this is stopped in court, no 7n6 will be approved for import.

ETA - link to the ATF statement:  http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2014/04/040714-special-advisory-test-examination-and-classification-7n6-545x39-ammunition.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm just glad I got a Polish can and Bulgarian can in my collection right before the ban.
View Quote

I've never seen a Polish can.  Please post a photo of it if you can, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I re-read it and your right although by the section they chose to use, it's not armor piercing since it is a 2 piece lead/steel core. Not cool ATF, not cool at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That has nothing to do with it.  The ATF determination is based on section 921(a)(17)(B)(i) of the GCA which does not include projectile diameter as a defining characteristic.  If they used that section for their determination on Russian 7n6 specifically, they'll use it for any other source of ammunition made to the same spec.  And, they're going to do whatever they want anyway.  Unless this is stopped in court, no 7n6 will be approved for import.

ETA - link to the ATF statement:  http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2014/04/040714-special-advisory-test-examination-and-classification-7n6-545x39-ammunition.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

javascript:center();

I don't know its pretty specific to russian 7n6. I'd say go for broke and someone try it. The ATF doesn't listen to logic. They may say its ok. Look at the arm brace thing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just glad I got a Polish can and Bulgarian can in my collection right before the ban.

Polish is on the top.  At some point I need to take a pic with all three (Russian, Polish, & Bulgarian) together.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey thanks!  That would be a good photo of all 3.  

What's the little rectangle in the corner of the Russian can, a decal or embroidered patch?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#14]
It's an embroidered patch I got awhile back.  I'll try to get a pic of all three cans together in the next week or two so people can see the variation in markings between the three countries together in one pic.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top