Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2014 7:56:04 PM EDT
I've been looking to find what 7.62x39 will be most accurate in my ak , or at least what others have found works well. Honestly I haven't found a good deal of information on it. I'm in the proses now to get a list of 7.62x39 y'all would like to see compared. I'll get a box of each and fire 4, 5 round groups at 100 yards of each brand. This will be a thread that I'll update every other week or so. So if you have ammo you would like compared let me know.
I'll be using a milled Hungarian type 3 AK55 to do the testing.

Here's the list: I didn't realize they corrected the American ammo thing so I'll try a few types. I'll put a * next to the ones I find. I'll hit up a gun show here soon to get more flavors.  
Wolf
Tula  *
Fiocchi
Herters
Golden tiger
Red army standard
Arsenal
Red army elite
Hot shot *
Lapua
Remington *
Hornady *
Winchester *
Brown bear
Silver bear
Monarch *
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you considering "proper" bullet diameter?
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lapua.

~Thread~
View Quote

Yup....I think OP will find this out during his testing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree with the above...if you got the cash to buy Lapua....I think you will find it above all the rest.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't the "US ammo isn't the right diameter" issue get settled (for lack of a better word) when the Mini-30 moved away from a .308 barrel?

It is my understanding -- limited, at best -- that Hornady, Winchester, and Federal all use .310.  I would assume Remington does as well.  I would think their manufacturing processes would make for a more consistent .310, rather than Eastern Europe manufacturing producing a range from .309-.312.

So why not test a box of each of them, too?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didn't the "US ammo isn't the right diameter" issue get settled (for lack of a better word) when the Mini-30 moved away from a .308 barrel?

It is my understanding -- limited, at best -- that Hornady, Winchester, and Federal all use .310.  I would assume Remington does as well.  I would think their manufacturing processes would make for a more consistent .310, rather than Eastern Europe manufacturing producing a range from .309-.312.

So why not test a box of each of them, too?
View Quote

I didn't realize they fixed that , I'll test what I can find. Looks like lapua is sold out almost everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Watching with interest...
was gathering ammo to do something like this myself... saw Lapua 7.62x39 at a gun shop in Louisiana, should've picked some up.
I'll get some next time I'm around there.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
brown bear
silver bear
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
brown bear
silver bear
View Quote

Or any of the barnual flavors including wolf and wolf MC made at barnual.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#11]
How about some fiocchi.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
As far as the Russian stuff goes, in both my AK's, Golden TIger is the most accuate followed closely by Silver/Brown/Golden Bear.  Wolf Military Classic is ok. Tula and Standard Wolf are horrible in my guns as far as accuracy are concerned.

My converted Saiga with ultimak and red dot turned in a 1.75" 5 shot group at 100 last time I had it out.  I don't see a reason to buy brass 7.62z39 unless you have a bolt gun like a CZ chambered in it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been looking to find what 7.62x39 will be most accurate in my ak , or at least what others have found works well. Honestly I haven't found a good deal of information on it. I'm in the proses now to get a list of 7.62x39 y'all would like to see compared. I'll get a box of each and fire 4, 5 round groups at 100 yards of each brand. This will be a thread that I'll update every other week or so. So if you have ammo you would like compared let me know.

Here's the list: I didn't realize they corrected the American ammo thing so I'll try a few types.
Wolf
Tula
Herters
Golden tiger
Red army standard
Arsenal
Red army elite
Hot shot
Lapua
Remington
Hornady
Winchester
Brown bear
Silver bear
View Quote

Thanks in advance for the tests you are about to post.

Could you post the twist rate of your rifle, and will you be using the iron sights or a scope?

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Could you post the twist rate of your rifle, and will you be using the iron sights or a scope?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the list: I didn't realize they corrected the American ammo thing so I'll try a few types.
Wolf
Tula
Herters
Golden tiger
Red army standard
Arsenal
Red army elite
Hot shot
Lapua
Remington
Hornady
Winchester
Brown bear
Silver bear

Twist rate is 1 in 9.251" I'll be using iron sights. It may be a week or two longer to start testing as I'm just starting to gather ammo and I'm about to start my new job. I'll try to get some results posted in the next few weeks. I'm just trying to get a list of ammo for now. So e brands I can't find so a few might take a little while. But I have access to about 6-7 brands right now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#15]
some of the Chinese stuff was pretty accurate as well .
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was also going to say Cheetah.  What about Yugo surplus?  Or Chinese commercial or surplus?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was also going to say Cheetah.  What about Yugo surplus?  Or Chinese commercial or surplus?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now I'm only looking at ammo that is commercially available, if I find some of the old surplus I'll give it a test but I'm not hunting it down. If aim gets some yugo I'll order a case
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The Yugo stuff isn't still being imported is it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Yugo stuff isn't still being imported is it?
View Quote

Let's just say there might be some yugo coming in this summer , maybe...... From what I have heard
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I expect the prices to be more then non corrosive... though if it's close I will still buy some. Is there a reason it hasn't been brought in lately? I assumed the atf had banned it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Even the SIG 556R (7.62x39) has a .310 barrel. The ammo should be .311 but its not really an issue as it relates to this test. If the OP posts the velocity along with the accuracy results, that should be sufficient for anyone to determine if they want to use that ammo. Ideally you want hot + accurate. From what I've seen, GT provides that with its boat-tail bullet. Yugo M67 does too, but of course its corrosive. I just finished selling all my Yugo and replacing it with GT based on findings with it over the last year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm waiting till I can get to a show and get more types of ammo . My buddy has a chronograph so hopefully I can get my hands on that. Sorry for the slow pace. I'm buying ammo as I can afford it. Got a woman and a kid to keep happy too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Subscribing to see what come up. Why not text multipul AK's with different bore dia's? For example I have one with a green mountain barrel that mic's out at .308 in the grooves obviously I'll get better accuracy with a given .310 dia load than I will in a .311 or .312 dia bore. Just an idea.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]
My experience thru my 7.62x39 AR is that Lapua is the best in terms of accuracy/precision. Pricey but if you're reloading it's great brass. GT is the best overall factoring in price.  Yugo M67 is right up there with Lapua in terms of accuracy but the last case I bought was 80's era production and seems to FTF once every 50 rounds. If you can snag some for $250/case or less it's great value. Thru my WASR 10/63 or VZ58 I really don't see any difference between GT and Lapua or M67. Just recently shot some Red Army Standard, thru my AK it shoots as good as GT but I can't get it as cheap as GT.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I have done extensive research in 7,62x39 accuracy with shitload of ammo including hand loads.  At the end of the day, it will depend on YOUR actual rifle. Here is an example. My friend just got a mini 30. so me, being a nice guy (LOL) gave him 7 types of ammo to try out, to see which shot the best

-123 gr Lapua FMJ
-154 Gr Wolf SP
-123 gr PPU Mil spec
-124 gr Wolf MC JHP
-Chinese yellow box steel core
-Federal AM Eagle 123 gr FMJ
-Winchester 123 gr FMJ.

right off the bat both Federal and Winchester shot terrible.

lapua came in second while Wolf 124 gr MC JHP shot a solid 1.4 inch group using 4x scope off the bench. ( this was used to evaluate all ammo)

everything else was about the same.

Now, in my Vepr K and SGL-21  Lapua shoots very well, while the same Wolf MC 124 gr JHP shoots ook. 3-5 moa.

at the end of the day, different rifles like different ammo (oh forgot, my 21 inch Rob Arm vepr shoots the 154 gr SP the best).

until you try diff ammo, you will never know which ammo is right for you

good luck!
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have done extensive research in 7,62x39 accuracy with shitload of ammo including hand loads.  At the end of the day, it will depend on YOUR actual rifle. Here is an example. My friend just got a mini 30. so me, being a nice guy (LOL) gave him 7 types of ammo to try out, to see which shot the best

-123 gr Lapua FMJ
-154 Gr Wolf SP
-123 gr PPU Mil spec
-124 gr Wolf MC JHP
-Chinese yellow box steel core
-Federal AM Eagle 123 gr FMJ
-Winchester 123 gr FMJ.

right off the bat both Federal and Winchester shot terrible.

lapua came in second while Wolf 124 gr MC JHP shot a solid 1.4 inch group using 4x scope off the bench. ( this was used to evaluate all ammo)

everything else was about the same.

Now, in my Vepr K and SGL-21  Lapua shoots very well, while the same Wolf MC 124 gr JHP shoots ook. 3-5 moa.

at the end of the day, different rifles like different ammo (oh forgot, my 21 inch Rob Arm vepr shoots the 154 gr SP the best).

until you try diff ammo, you will never know which ammo is right for you

good luck!
View Quote

The federal and winchester might have had .308 bullets but I thought that the mini30 had a .308 grove dia. So that shouldnt have been the problem. But if one shot a .308 dia bullet through a .311 bore then yes accuracy would be bad.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The federal and winchester might have had .308 bullets but I thought that the mini30 had a .308 grove dia. So that shouldnt have been the problem. But if one shot a .308 dia bullet through a .311 bore then yes accuracy would be bad.
View Quote

Saw that once, .308 bullets reloaded into .303... can you say keyholing?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi,

I miss the days of 7.62x39 steel core ammo, especially the Chinese.  I managed with the Norinco AKS & SKS to get groups of 2-2.5MOA  winsome copper washed lots.  My experience currently is that I can expect 4 MOA from lead core white boxed Wolf 124 gr. HP's from my WASR and half that from my AR.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, it has been around 7 months since your first post, O.P.
Can you tell us the results you have found, or is the project a non-starter?
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top