Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/22/2014 10:50:22 PM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/154473_credit_card_stolen_after_purchase_at_wideners.html

Mods, thought this link needed posted in the ammo forum also. If not I understand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't even have to buy something to get your credit card number stolen.  What do you think you are warning people of?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you read the thread, you will see that the common "thread" is a CC order from Wideners a few days before the hit.
View Quote

So what?  Several vendors use common interchanges.  I bet a lot of people from all over the world were hit at the same time.  Someone broke into the common system.  It has nothing to do with Wideners.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You don't even have to buy something to get your credit card number stolen.  What do you think you are warning people of?
View Quote

Maybe read the attached post and then you'd know instead of just leaving a snarky reply  

Some may actually find this information helpful, and no one is bashing Widener's just saying that it is the common link with the cc fraud, some guy had only used his card at wideners and got hacked so kinda proves the point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting this.  Now I know where my card was compromised last week.  I doubt if Widener's had anything to do with it, but they need to know their system has been compromised.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]
It certainly looks like Wideners was hacked, there is a very long list of people who this happened to and they all had shopped at wideners recently.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It certainly looks like Wideners was hacked, there is a very long list of people who this happened to and they all had shopped at wideners recently.
View Quote

Add me to the list.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Me too :(
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a crate Friday night...tomorrow morning I am cancelling the card....they need to look into this post haste!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I too purchased a spam of 5.45 from wideners and after reading others compromised cards i checked my card today at the bank,,  and sure enough it had 3 charges at Walmart on 3/24 Sunday . I purchased ammo on 3/3 , but the bank fixed it in 10 mins for me.. But this seems to be a widespread problem, must be the same hacks that hit Target..
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
In the last few years almost every single time I've purchased from wideners I've had my card compromised.

The fact that they don't use HTTPS is a major problem; I can only imagine the other security issues they have.  

I've verbally informed them over the phone, but my impression is that it's beyond their tech capabilities.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I too purchased a spam of 5.45 from wideners and after reading others compromised cards i checked my card today at the bank,,  and sure enough it had 3 charges at Walmart on 3/24 Sunday . I purchased ammo on 3/3 , but the bank fixed it in 10 mins for me.. But this seems to be a widespread problem, must be the same hacks that hit Target..
View Quote

Probably not the same thing.  That being said, it could be something as simple as having an exposed admin interface to the website with bad credentials.

The book 'kingpin' is a good read if you are interested in how some of these things happen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I started a post at gunboards on this subject and there were victims posting almost immediately. There must be hundreds of victims.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's the email reply I got from Wideners:

Thank you for your email regarding your credit card.
Our internet provider is currently investigating possible
unauthorized access to Widener's payment card data.

We keep credit card numbers on file only for a short period
so any breach is extremely limited; however, we are taking this
very seriously and have already reviewed and strengthened our security procedures.

This is a great shock to us and believe me, we are working very hard to
understand how this happened and to make sure it can't happen in the future.

It takes time to fully investigate what happened, but we are continuously
working on it. The extra security features we have just installed will protect against future unauthorized activity.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and we will assist you in resolving this problem.

Sincerely,

Stan Widener, President
Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the last few years almost every single time I've purchased from wideners I've had my card compromised.

The fact that they don't use HTTPS is a major problem; I can only imagine the other security issues they have.  

I've verbally informed them over the phone, but my impression is that it's beyond their tech capabilities.
View Quote

Just looked at their site... looks like they now have HTTPS for when you are logged into your account.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here's the email reply I got from Wideners:

Thank you for your email regarding your credit card.
Our internet provider is currently investigating possible
unauthorized access to Widener's payment card data.

We keep credit card numbers on file only for a short period
so any breach is extremely limited; however, we are taking this
very seriously and have already reviewed and strengthened our security procedures.

This is a great shock to us and believe me, we are working very hard to
understand how this happened and to make sure it can't happen in the future.

It takes time to fully investigate what happened, but we are continuously
working on it. The extra security features we have just installed will protect against future unauthorized activity.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, and we will assist you in resolving this problem.

Sincerely,

Stan Widener, President
Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply, Inc.
View Quote

This same thing happened to their site a couple years ago.  Looks like they're finally fixing the issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Luckily my order of FAKE CZ82 "factory" magazines from Wideners wasn't compromised
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Wideners now has a comment post on their website about the data breach....
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
wideners should have listened to me when i notified them about their security breach back on march 13th.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Statement on their homepage sure is sugarcoating the issue , quite a few victims on this site alone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Happened to me too! So that's where it got hit.

Well, no more 7n6 means no more reason to order from them...
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Add me to the list.  Who would have thought, I use a random CC to buy 2 cases of 7.62 ammo last month and last week Visa Fraud called.  They had charged over $5k worth of stuff in an hour.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Dam, mine got taken as well.  my cc has been cross country - DC to San Francisco.

my order was March 5th.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#24]
They have a warning (summary of what happened & their course of action etc) on their main page now.
http://www.wideners.com

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep. Someone stole my CC number and info. after I bought 2 crates of 5.45x39 at Widener's. They went on a shopping spree which included overseas charges as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Add me to the list.  My credit card (Citibank MC) company sent my wife a text the day after I ordered online from Wideners asking if we purchased $780 worth of goods from a University in NC plus reserved a $300 per night room at some hotel in Santa Monica, Ca.   They sent us a new card over night.  This morning I was looking to get some more 5.45x39 and got on their site and saw the heading about the cc fraud.  I called them and ordered another 1080 rounds with the girl on the phone assuring me it is safe when ordered on the phone even though they believe their site is now secure.

Just last Monday I ordered a Beretta from Tombstone Tactical with a different (Cabela's Visa) credit card.  Same deal, the next day that card was hacked and someone treated themselves to a new phone through T-Mobile in Washington state.  They did not call me, my wife noticed the charge on her laptop and called me at work to make sure I did not use the card.   Over 30 years of having credit cards and two different cards defrauded in less than a month.

edit:  It appears the hacker got our information through Streicher's,website, not Tombstone Tactical.  But nothing is certain.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Statement on their homepage sure is sugarcoating the issue , quite a few victims on this site alone.
View Quote

looks like it got worse! see the 4/4 update.

wonder if they will ignore notifications of being hacked next time, like they did this time.

several people including me tried to warn them that they were hacked, they ignored us all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been ok so far since ordering my last crate of 7N6 from Widener's in mid-march.

What I have learned since then is that my card offers "shop safe" which generates a card and 3 digit code that can only be used with the merchant you bought from. Gets hacked, card number won't work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]
The moral of the story is Fuck Wideners and they should give everyone who got hacked free stuff

The way they handled this was sad.. Ive done a ton of business with them and will now go be town crier and tell everyone i know not to do business with them. To bad

Stan didn't act apologetic about anything until everyone was onto his ass
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The moral of the story is Fuck Wideners and they should give everyone who got hacked free stuff

The way they handled this was sad.. Ive done a ton of business with them and will now go be town crier and tell everyone i know not to do business with them. To bad

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#31]
This explains why I saw a "test charge" of $3.48 on my account statement last month.

Came from a "Lucky Place" out of New York.  Charged me, then refunded it..to see if the card number worked,
As soon as I saw it, I called my bank and had a new card issued.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:35:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Heads up I just got a call, some tried to get a CC with my name. Luckily I stopped it. I'm not saying 100%, but likely they got it from Wideners.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I concur. They got me for $2500. Tons of disputes, paperwork, bs. Emailed Wideners, and they acted like it was no big deal. I only used this card once
In the last 9 months, at Wideners. They will never get another dime from me. They need to hire a PR firm.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Add me to the list.  Ordered from Wideners on 4/3.  CC Fraud Dept contacted me on 4/7 regarding suspicious charges (traveljigsaw, carhire).
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Did any of you who got burned recently buy from Widener's over the phone when their Web site wasn't accepting orders?

Couple of weeks ago I tried to order 2 cases of 54R. I called Widener's but they said I needed to send them a copy of my ID before they'd
process the order. Hmmmm..... They already had my ID on file. I bought 8mm from them in February and had no issues. Six weeks
later they needed proof of age again? Something smelled fishy there, like they lost my information or were rebuilding their data base
after a purge.

I bailed and ordered elsewhere. Might have been for the best.

I'm sorry this happened to them and to everyone affected. I've used Widener's for years and have always gotten good service, but clearly they should have acted faster and been more thorough with this.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top