Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 9:22:01 PM EDT
Who cleans their AK with a solid rod from the breach?  It seems some receivers are cut low enough in the back to allow a rod without bending, others are almost impossible.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have always cleaned with a rod from the breech...I use Tipton CF rods.  Its really not an issue on the AK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MJFlores:
Who cleans their AK with a solid rod from the breach?  It seems some receivers are cut low enough in the back to allow a rod without bending, others are almost impossible.
View Quote

1) Put the rod in at the muzzle withOUT a jag, loop or brush screwed into it.
2) When the end of the rod appears at the receiver end of the barrel, attach your preferred tool end.
3) Pull the rod out, chamber to muzzle, and the brush, etc. along with it, it doing its cleaning task along the way. No rod bending can occur.
4) Remove the tool end, wipe off and reinsert the rod, repeat these steps as needed. (... or you slip the unit armorer a $20 to accept the rifle as-is)

BTW, you just learned how I clean a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14/M1A or just about any lever action rifle, too. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:23:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Danger6] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TJRoush:
Yes, I have always cleaned with a rod from the breech...I use Tipton CF rods.  Its really not an issue on the AK.
View Quote
Ditto with my AK74.  You bend the rod slightly, but only slightly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 72859768] [#4]
The cap on the cleaning kit is made for the rod to fit through and over the crown to protect
it during cleaning. The AK was made for battle conditions and designed thus. I will see if I can find my tutorial
on the cleaning kit.

Here is one to get you started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3IlpQnlxg

Here is another and there is one more but if you see this yb vid you can find the
other. Even the cleaning kits were designed smartly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh2VORpYRMA
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GunnyG:

1) Put the rod in at the muzzle withOUT a jag, loop or brush screwed into it.
2) When the end of the rod appears at the receiver end of the barrel, attach your preferred tool end.
3) Pull the rod out, chamber to muzzle, and the brush, etc. along with it, it doing its cleaning task along the way. No rod bending can occur.
4) Remove the tool end, wipe off and reinsert the rod, repeat these steps as needed. (... or you slip the unit armorer a $20 to accept the rifle as-is)

BTW, you just learned how I clean a M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14/M1A or just about any lever action rifle, too. 
View Quote
Yep. Get an Otis kit - you won't be sorry. You see, we don't have to use battlefield-expedient measures when we clean our guns during peacetime - there's plenty of time to do it in the least-harmful way possible which is to clean from the breech on any gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#6]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:

Yep. Get an Otis kit - you won't be sorry. You see, we don't have to use battlefield-expedient measures when we clean our guns during peacetime - there's plenty of time to do it in the least-harmful way possible which is to clean from the breech on any gun.
View Quote
... and I’m going to replace my old brass jags with a full set of these aftermarket caliber specific pull-through style cleaning jags from ProShot, for use with that Otis kit that I bought in the mid 90’s and wasn’t really impressed with. They’ll also work on a regular cleaning rod:

http://www.proshotproducts.com/Tactical-Line-Replacement-Brushes--Jags_c_110.html
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a cleaning rod from the breech with no problem and for a quick cleaning a Boresnake does the job.

There's no reason to stick a cleaning rod down the muzzle.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top