Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 3:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman]
Question for you guys, I want to take some training classes but they said I need to bring a Cleaning kit for my AK, now I know some people never clean aks (I only put about 300 rounds so far) and I never cleaned the sucker yet. What kind of "kit" should I be looking for?

Would greatly appreciate a list of products if needed.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Your AK should have come with a tube style cleaning kit. Get a .30 cal bore brush, a batch holder, some .30 cal cleaning patches, some CLP, and an Otis flexible cleaning rod, and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for the spring-loaded circular trap door in the middle of the buttstock - the cleaning kit should be in there.

If no trap door, or no cleaning kit, go get a .30 cleaning kit from the store.  All my AKs (SARs and WASRs) came with their integral cleaning kits, but if they didn't, I'd use one of my .30 cal boresnakes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a site on Romanian rifles that has a tutorial on how to use the AK cleaning kit.
There's a lot to a simple looking tube.
Soviet minimalist engineering at it's best.

Look down the left side for "Butt stock tool kit uses:http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/whyromanian.shtml

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a bore snake, oil bottle, bore brush and some patches in an old compass pouch.
Small and handy.
My AK does not have a trap door.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys, I have a Hungarian SA-85 and It didn't come with a cleaning kit & rod (also doesn't have a cleaning rod holder)

I changed to a magpul set, So should I just get a AK cleaning kit and a bore snake or just get a 30. cal cleaning kit?

What would be the best option?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
Thanks for the replies guys, I have a Hungarian SA-85 and It didn't come with a cleaning kit & rod (also doesn't have a cleaning rod holder)
I changed to a magpul set, So should I just get a AK cleaning kit and a bore snake or just get a 30. cal cleaning kit?
View Quote

I prefer a boresnake for bore cleaning.  Still gonna need a brush for chamber cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Circuits:

I prefer a boresnake for bore cleaning.  Still gonna need a brush for chamber cleaning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

alright sounds good. I'm going to look up a Hungarian ak cleaning kit and just get a 30. cal bore snake and keep it in my stock.

Any other inputs?

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:04:08 AM EDT
[#8]
alright sounds good. I'm going to look up a Hungarian ak cleaning kit and just get a 30. cal bore snake and keep it in my stock.
Any other inputs?
View Quote

With its strongly tapered case, AKs are more jam resistant in my experience than straighter cases like the 5.56x45 used by the AR-15/M16, but not jam immune.  I have experienced my 7.62x39 WASR10 jamming under extreme misuse conditions, so you should clean it, if and when you can.  Given its design, it is more forgiving of less cleaning than some other rifle systems would be.

If you regularly clean, lube and otherwise maintain your rifle, it is unlikely it will ever fail you.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]

With its strongly tapered case, AKs are more jam resistant in my experience than straighter cases like the 5.56x45 used by the AR-15/M16, but not jam immune.  I have experienced my 7.62x39 WASR10 jamming under extreme misuse conditions, so you should clean it, if and when you can.  Given its design, it is more forgiving of less cleaning than some other rifle systems would be.

If you regularly clean, lube and otherwise maintain your rifle, it is unlikely it will ever fail you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any other inputs?

Alright good to know

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Question for you guys, I want to take some training classes but they said I need to bring a Cleaning kit for my AK, now I know some people never clean aks (I only put about 300 rounds so far) and I never cleaned the sucker yet. What kind of "kit" should I be looking for?

Would greatly appreciate a list of products if needed.

Thanks,  
View Quote

I'd suggest you double check with your training course. Do they require you to carry it in you pocket or can you have a toolbox in your car you can run and get...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just use a Hoppes .30 cleaning kit. I also have a bore snake but if I use that I have to clean it too, so I never use it. There's no point in you buying an AK cleaning kit since your rifle doesn't have a cleaning rod (not that most people would actually want to use a steel cleaning rod).
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Otis cleaning kit. Small, portable, can be carried in a pocket or on a belt. Uses a plastic coated aircraft type metal cable that allows cleaning from breech to muzzle so less likely to damage the crown, since the cable is being pulled thru, it pretty much centers itself.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top