Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/15/2015 1:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: howlingwolf]
I plan on installing the Magpul Zhukov handguards when they come out and everything im seeing says the lower handguard retainer has to be removed. Im guessing this requires removing the gas block and front sight or a dremel. I havent been able to find any how tos on doing this does anyone have a good tutorial?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Since no one else has responded:

Removing the entire gas block and front sight support just to get the retainer off is not a good idea unless you need to keep the retainer so you can put everything back in it's original condition.

If you intend to stay with the new handguards, the best option is to cut the retainer off the barrel.
A simple way of doing that is with a fine-cut hacksaw blade in a high tension hacksaw.

To make sure no slips damage anything, wrap a few layers of tap around the barrel to protect it then hacksaw the retainer in half, working on one side at a time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it

At the very least, WAIT a little while. For a few other "I'm first.." type people install it and give some reviews, for all you know. It sucks...

Which is a general life rule, being first in line for 'something new' usually isn't a solid decision. Unless you're a hipster/trendy, then by all means ruin a part of your rifle for something unproven...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking of doing this as well. Got to handle the Zhukov a little bit at a convention last week. It was sweet and FELT really solid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:35:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tbr1806] [#4]
While this does not show gas block removal it does show FSB removal and the gas block is not.much more difficult to remove. Hope it helps.

FSB removal
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top