Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:05:14 AM EDT
So I took the recommendation from several people here and used grease for the first time on my AK. Wow what a difference. I could tell right away that everything was a lot smoother. Just felt like the BCG was riding on butter. I used Tetra gun grease. Highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Tetra on every gun I own. Gun oil tends to vanish from the gun after a while. The Tetra stays there forever. Temperature is a non issue in Florida.  GARY
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything that slides on a rail should be greased. I use TW25B on all my handguns and bearing/axle grease on my rifles since they get stripped and cleaned more often..
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Lubriplate SFL-0 on sliding parts, nice and lightweight, literally runs like greased lightning.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I also use Lubriplate, but 130-A from Brownells. Decently cheap.

Get like 20+ times the amount for only double the cost of a single tube of the Tetra. Tetra is good, but I only use it on pistol slide rails and AR build detent type springs.

I also use this Lubriplate on AR15 buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer. Works great, stays where you want, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CavScout8:
I also use Lubriplate, but 130-A from Brownells. Decently cheap.
View Quote

That's the old M1 grease, good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used grease on my AKs since 1982 without any problem. I used Lubriplate until TW25B became available. I ran out of TW25B and received a free sample of Weapon Shield grease and started using it. I like it and it has a great scent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I used regular white lithium grease in my AK. Works like a charm, and its alot cheaper than products marketed towards gun owners.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Was watching a Rifle Dynamics video and they use Lithium White Grease...I tried it and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Question on Tetra grease.  I have one tube where the grease is yellow and another tube where the grease is white.  What is the difference?  Did they change the color through the years since the one tube is older?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Used bacon fat works well in a pinch......
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BOYSCOUT4LIFE:
View Quote

MMMMMMMMMMM........ Bacon................

Imagine the scent of bacon permeating through the range as you shoot your AK......
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By superbeast1098:
I used regular white lithium grease in my AK. Works like a charm, and its alot cheaper than products marketed towards gun owners.

View Quote

+1. Same here. Works, cheap, easy to find. It's just metal on metal, no need for fancy "weapons grease" here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Imagine the scent of bacon permeating through the range as you shoot your AK......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BOYSCOUT4LIFE:

Shoot enough rounds through the AK, then you can lay a slab or 2 of bacon on the barrel
for a nice range snack
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Double-Deuce:
Question on Tetra grease.  I have one tube where the grease is yellow and another tube where the grease is white.  What is the difference?  Did they change the color through the years since the one tube is older?
View Quote
Tetra separates while sitting in the tube. The instructions say to knead the tube before use to get it all mixed up. Otherwise different colored ingredients come out. I recently picked up 8 tubes of Tetra for $10 total at the LGS. They were in the "junk" bucket.  GARY
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the military grease sold in the surplus stores. Just a little bit is all that's needed, wherever you see wear inside just a light coat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I know I'm on the AK side but what about white grease for AR's?   Better than the standard lube?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]
white lithium grease is what I have right now...but lubriplate sounds 6% better
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Newbie question ?   What parts get grease and which parts get some other type of lube?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]
all these fancy-schmancy greases.....i just use plain old red wheel bearing grease.  $5 for a big-assed tub at wal-mart.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Grease is  preferred for metal/metal contact and is ideal for AK's. Grease stays put, thus lasts longer.
One thing I hate about my AR's is the oil. Oil runs and needs to be reapplied, grease doesn't. But, unlike the AK, the AR fouls quickly, so a wet lubricant (oil) is better for the AR.
I use Mobile 1 10/30 in my AR's and white lithium grease in my AK's.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Please excuse my noob-ness.  

How are AKs with froglube?  Or do you all prefer grease?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKMer] [#22]
Originally Posted By MaverickAA:

+1. Same here. Works, cheap, easy to find. It's just metal on metal, no need for fancy "weapons grease" here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaverickAA:

+2

White lithium on pretty much everything I own.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rotorhead84:

View Quote

Froglube is a substandard product with fantastic marketing. A tiny tube will cost as much as a 5-year supply of grease IF you shoot A LOT.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
all these fancy-schmancy greases.....i just use plain old red wheel bearing grease.  $5 for a big-assed tub at wal-mart.  
View Quote

Pretty much this, except I use a molly grease tub I bought years ago for M1a bolt rollers.  One tub is about a life time supply and only cost a few bucks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brdvictim] [#25]
The .75oz tubes are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIlnAYSHBBQ

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#26]
So I am just getting in to the AK game(recently converted AR guy).  How well does grease hold up in colder weather?  Will it gum up if it gets too cold?  I guess if it works in a Russian winter there is no reason it should gum up in a cold WI one.....
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:
So I am just getting in to the AK game(recently converted AR guy).  How well does grease hold up in colder weather?  Will it gum up if it gets too cold?  I guess if it works in a Russian winter there is no reason it should gum up in a cold WI one.....
View Quote

AKOU 47-74 did a lubrication video wherein it was stated that Russian military SOP was to use oil for cold-weather use. I've had no problems with grease on mine thus far, but winter's just starting and my rifles haven't been outside in the cold for more than two hours at any given time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:
View Quote

This is another reason I use the Lubriplate SFL-0, it's almost a liquid in very warm weather, does not gum up at all in cold weather, have tested in as low as -15 degrees F, will see how it works this year if we get below that, trust me, it's nothing like that gummy toad-lube crap. 11 bucks from Midway for a tub that will last the rest of your life basically.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ESPOMAN:
So I took the recommendation from several people here and used grease for the first time on my AK. Wow what a difference. I could tell right away that everything was a lot smoother. Just felt like the BCG was riding on butter. I used Tetra gun grease. Highly recommend it.
View Quote

Is just using oil an issue?  I am a newb to AK's so please be gentle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I found some high temp wheel bearing/brake grease.   About an 16 oz can or so. Is this suitable?  I would think so. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been using wheel bearing grease  (Mobil 1 synthetic)
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, mine says coastal, from Auto Zone.  Use it on brake jobs I do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Tbr1806:
I have been using wheel bearing grease  (Mobil 1 synthetic)
View Quote

Since I use Mobil-1 oil on my other guns, I'm going to try their grease on my AK.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I like grease.

The old axiom was if it slides, grease it, if it pivots on a pin, oil it.

The only real issue you have is using it in the wrong place in the cold.  i certainly wouldn't use it inside of a bolt action bolt body for the bitter cold deer hunt.  You can very easily retard the striker enough to cause a fail to fire. Old gummed oil will do the same.

In the dead heat of summer some greases will separate on you; the oil will weep from the carrier solids.   I used to use RIG (Rust inhibiting Grease) as regular grease since I had a convenient tub of it.  In the tub it would separate on me.   With that in mind I quit using it in the garands for lube as I didn't want the oil to migrate into the stock.  It wasn't the right grease anyhow.  I've used lubriplate, mobil 1 synthetic grease, and wally world grease.  They are all sufficient for the purpose.

I also prefer to lube auto pistol slides with grease. Just a little.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mouthpiece] [#35]
I used aeroshell 33 on my AK once in cold weather, bolt wouldn't cycle completely.
Went back to using nothing.
Otherwise, Gun has over 3000 flawless rounds on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#36]
First cold-weather shoot for me yesterday with the krinks using grease.

I may change things up a bit and do grease in the summer, 0w-40 synthetic in the winter or something.  The grease *REALLY* didn't wanna work as well, and just turned into caked-on carbon way more than usual.

warm weather, grease ain't a thang.

i'm finding that colder weather (below freezing), however.....there are better options.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:25:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: entropy1049] [#37]
Lubriplate is great stuff. Next time you buy a wheelgun take off the lock plate and pack it full of Lubriplate. First 100 rounds or so is a faceful of hot Lubriplate, but the smoothness of your action will ease the pain.

Been using white lithium grease SPARINGLY on my AK rails for years and am beyond satisfied. Clean with Gunzilla, lube with WLG, preserve with Eezox. As a result, my AKs look like new and run good all the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Froglube is a substandard product with fantastic marketing. A tiny tube will cost as much as a 5-year supply of grease IF you shoot A LOT.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rotorhead84:

CORRECT , It gets gummy and sucks the closer you get to 0 *F , I tossed mine in the trash , lubing you weapon shouldnt be a 3 step process
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
would anti-seize that meets the mil-a-907e standard work well?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:
would anti-seize that meets the mil-a-907e standard work well?
View Quote

Isn't that the same bronze colored stuff Glock puts on their pistols from the factory?
According to its specs, its good at 0°F to + 1800°F as a slide lubricant, so I'd say you're GTG.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Just about to ask what to use for AK lube.
Wheel baring grease = AK lube.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I use Lucas Red & Tacky on my AKs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

plus one with the lithium grease sir. although mine is black lithium grease  always stays where it was put on the firearm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:29:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EP429] [#44]
I bought a tub of red bearing grease at Walmart for maybe $3.88, works like a charm and should last me for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#45]
How would Lucas Oil blue waterproof marine grease work? I have tons of the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
How would Lucas Oil blue waterproof marine grease work? I have tons of the stuff.
View Quote

It's grease.  It'll be fine.

Seriously, with as much overthinking and overanalyzing as people on this site do............
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Why is the GD mindset oozing into the Tech forums?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Likewise the "needs hand held every step" mindset?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Bless your heart.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top