Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
I buggered mine taking it out.  What size do I need?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I need the roll pin for a ak.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The AK doesn't use a roll pin, they use a solid pin that's riveted in place.
Many people just use a section of common nail.  It's soft enough to easily rivet and strong enough to do the job.

You lightly countersink each side of the hole in the bolt carrier to give the rivets room to flow down into the countersinks, then rivet the nail on each end by tapping with a hammer to rivet the ends.
After riveting, grind the pin flush with the carrier tube.  The countersinks insure that once you grind off the excess mushroomed ends, there'll be enough rivet left to hold the pin in place.

You want the hole through the gas piston slightly larger then the pin so the piston will have just a little wobble.  This allows the piston to align itself with the gas block.
When installing, screw the piston in until snug, then back it out about 1/2 turn to allow the slight wobble.

If you just want to use a roll pin, go to any hardware store and buy about a 3/16" roll pin.
Again, make the hole in the piston slightly larger to the piston wobbles a little.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top