Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/11/2014 9:19:41 PM EDT
I have a WW74 and my crown under my muzzle break gets pretty dirty. And that carbon is hard as hell to get off. Is there a solvent i should use or a brush type that won't harm the crown? I use CLP for cleaning and its just not cutting it when it comes to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I put some hoppes #9 on it and scrub it off with one of those green SOS pads you can buy in the kitchen supply section. It works pretty fast and hasn't damaged anything that I know of. I also do the same thing for the gas piston
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually the carbon can just be flaked off with a brass scraper.
Other options that won't harm the muzzle:

Use a "lead-away" cloth.  These stiff cloths are used to wipe carbon and leading off gun parts by just rubbing the area.  DO NOT use on a blued finish, it also rubs bluing off.  This also works on gas pistons.

Use a carbon removal liquid like Slip 2000 Carbon Killer.  Just shake the bottle well and apply to the area for a soak.  Use a brush or cloth to remove what's left.

Use a brass brush to scrub it off.  Remove the brass marks with a bore solvent.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Purchase the Manticore Arms Night Brake, the crown won't be crusted with hard carbon/copper. It's shorter, lighter, and better flash suppression than the standard AK74 MB.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes #9, brass brush, and elbow grease is what I use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Brass or nylon brush in a drill, after soaking in hoppes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've literally gone to soaking the whole muzzle nut in kerosene and brush like a mofo with a brass brush.

Here's an idea I had to deal with this problem so it's not a pain to clean. Maybe give it a try.

Idea Link
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brass or nylon brush in a drill, after soaking in hoppes.
View Quote

Myself, and many others, will say keep the power tools out of gun cleaning!
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Purchase the Manticore Arms Night Brake, the crown won't be crusted with hard carbon/copper. It's shorter, lighter, and better flash suppression than the standard AK74 MB.
View Quote

This^^^or use Slip carbon killer. No need to scrape on any firearm with any type of metal tool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got the Manticore. Hope it helps keep muzzle grime down.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I usually start with a patch soaked in Hoppe's No9 by rubbing it all over the muzzle, wait ten minutes, then scrub with a stiff brass brush followed by applying whatever oil I fancy at the moment.

Works like a charm on my Arsenal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Same way I clean everything els, a good long soak in Hoppes #9 (30-60 minutes), then removal with:

easy stuff: shop towels or q-tips
medium stuff: soft nylon brush/tool cleaning brush/tooth brush  <- usually good enough for muzzles.  If its really bad, goes in a drill on low setting, but I rarely have to resort to that
hard stuff: scraping tools
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went to the range last weekend.

I still have a bare spot on my arm that was singed clean that disagrees with your statement about the night brake suppressing flash in any manner whatsoever.  

great brake.  terrible flash hider.  

OP:  I use a brass-bristled brush or a scotch-brite pad, whatever's handy.  all my barrels (save a couple yugo guns which get just a stronger carbon fouling cleaner soak) are chrome-lined, though, so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I just gave this a try, Easy Off oven cleaner. Sprayed it on a heavily carboned piston let sit for five minutes than hosed it off, it's water based. Took off all the carbon, squikie clean. No manual scrapping required. I've used it on nickle and parked bolts with no ill effects. Been using it on ar bolts with the same good results.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Copper brush and Hoppes 9.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always dumped boiling water down the barrel and brake. I checked out the crown and it had a lot of carbon built up. I had just never thought to check it. I shoot corrosive and was worried there would be rust underneath. Fortunately there was none. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a spent brass case to scrape the carbon off... It comes off like a breeze with the brass case.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've always dumped boiling water down the barrel and brake. I checked out the crown and it had a lot of carbon built up. I had just never thought to check it. I shoot corrosive and was worried there would be rust underneath. Fortunately there was none. Thanks for the tips.
View Quote

Rust requires oxygen to form; I think the carbon gets caked on dense and thick enough to prevent rust.  Or thats my theory at least.

I often leave the caked on junk a bit, once it gets very thick a few careful raps on some concrete cracks it up and it will flake off by hand; probably not the best method but it beats scrubbing the hell out of that crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
make some ED's RED and soak and scrub!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just gave this a try, Easy Off oven cleaner. Sprayed it on a heavily carboned piston let sit for five minutes than hosed it off, it's water based. Took off all the carbon, squikie clean. No manual scrapping required. I've used it on nickle and parked bolts with no ill effects. Been using it on ar bolts with the same good results.
View Quote

Very interesting - have to try!
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top