Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/4/2012 2:18:31 PM EDT
I am coming from the AR world, where grease is BAD! Except on the FCG or maybe the cam-pin.

Looking at the AK, I would assume that you DO use grease on it, though. On the FCG, and on the bolt carrier/rails, I would assume?

What kind of grease? Heavy, like Slide Glide, or something light, like TW-25B? Either will do? One better than the other?

Anything else different from the AR that I should be wary of?
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In most firearms, grease lubricates very well and prevents wear better than thin oils.
Grease stays put and doesn't dry out, sling off, or run off.
More and more AR Match shooters are using grease in their rifles with excellent results.

Some people claim that grease collects grit and fouling and gums things up.  This supposes that you shoot your rifle in a sand or dust storm and that you never clean it.
I know several AR Match shooters who shoot their rifles for an entire season by just adding more grease when needed and only clean the bore.

In the AK apply a thin coat of a good heat and water resistant grease to the "tail" of the bolt where it fits into the bolt carrier, the bolt locking lugs, the bottom of the bolt and bolt carrier, the receiver rails, the cam surface in the bolt carrier and any areas that show finish wear that indicates friction.

Most any grease will do fine.  many people go to a hardware, automotive, or Walmart and buy a tube of Lithium grease.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The AK platform isn't as picky as the AR platform when it comes to this. Some people use grease, some use oil, and others just run it dry.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#3]
you could use phlegm if you were i a pinch i bet
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
i lightly lube the recoil spring so it doesn't bind during recoil into the bolt assembly, been using Lucas gun oil on the rails since it seems to not wear off as quick as rem oil did, also lube the lugs on the bolt.  other than that the AK doesn't seem as picky.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I lightly oil the rails ( top and bottom),entire bolt except the bolt face,carrier (get the tail section good where it slides on the rails and bolt,) (dont lube piston,leave dry). Every once in awhile i oil the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]

it's an AK
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a machine.
All machines need maintenance and lubrication.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I am also from the AR world. I put slip 2k on everything that moves and run it wet.  should the same apply to the AK? or put Teflon grease on the rails and bolt
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
ATF on everything
Link Posted: 5/22/2012 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
sorry for the noob question but what does FCG mean?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]
F Fire
C Control
G Group

Link Posted: 5/29/2012 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Grease, gun oil, used motor oil...

Seriously, I use whatever gun oil I have around. Grease seems to attract dirt.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ATF on everything

ATF?!......wtf???....are you serious?

Really man?....I'm just asking...I've been using Remoil for the past year or so on

everything......9mm......Browning Auto-5.....and Maadi...but sometimes it does not

seem to last very long...or is it just me???...dunno...

I've been wondering about the grease thing for a while now...thinking since the action

on the Maadi is so much more "mechanical"...a good Litium grease or hi-temp wheel

bearing grease might work......

What is everyone else using???...
-
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I use high temperature wheel bearing grease on both my AK bolt/carrier and AR-15 BCGs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I grease my rails with Hoppes 9 grease.

And I oil the whole thing with Hoppes 9 oil; bolt carrier, bolt, trigger group, piston...etc.

There are few things sexier than a nice oiled up rifle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I run ATF in the Primary Case on the scoot and it works great.  Don't know what value the anti-slip components of ATF would have for an AK, however.

I, too, have had very poor performance from Rem-oil.  Works well for only a short time.

Presently, I use the CLP stuff they sell at Walmart.  Many have said that's the way to go on an AK.  Seems to hold up well and lifts carbon off pretty easily.

My experience with lithium grease in guns has been very negative.  It gets gummy quickly and holds dirt.

The absolute best grease I've found is Posness-Warren shotshell press grease.  I works great in guns and stays viscous and clear for a long time.  Other than that, I also use Mobil One Wheel Bearing Grease in several guns.  It, too, performs well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was in Morocco the soldiers would pull out the bolt and carrier and clean them by taking a handful of sand and scrubbing them down, blow it off then reassemble the gun
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Grease gets sticky when hot and draws dirt. I use BALISTOL it works great. It leaves that frying pan feel after a few applications.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Grease gets sticky when hot and draws dirt. I use BALISTOL it works great. It leaves that frying pan feel after a few applications.

This.

ETA: Yes to Ballistol. I've never used grease on a firearm so I can't comment on that.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
ATF on everything

ATF?!......wtf???....are you serious?

Really man?....I'm just asking...I've been using Remoil for the past year or so on
everything......9mm......Browning Auto-5.....and Maadi...but sometimes it does not
seem to last very long...or is it just me???...dunno...

I've been wondering about the grease thing for a while now...thinking since the action
on the Maadi is so much more "mechanical"...a good Litium grease or hi-temp wheel
bearing grease might work......

What is everyone else using???...

-

Yeah?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I use desert jizz (TW25B) on my AK with excellent results. You guys that don't know about ATF being used on firearms should google it. It's been found to be superior to motor oil in several tests with firearms. Wheel bearing grease will work well too. I don't like lithium but if you do then have at it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been using ATF mixed with Mobil 1 for years and love it. Did it before it was the internet secret thing to do. ATF suspends carbon and prevents burn off like nothing else. The oil allows low friction. The two together are fantastic as a gun oil. I sometimes mix in a little Marvel just for the smell. Smells great.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#23]
CLP for me. A thin coating is all you need on an AK.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Tried them all...   I am currently using a prduct called Gun Butter.  its a Pink thicker oil seem to work great on all my toys.. Now when all else fails and need a quick fix, i always have my Slip 2000 on me...  
             For an An Ak try using  a l ighter  lube on the bolt carrier and bolt lug. and for the rails, a heavier oil/lube....  
                     +1 On the ATF and Mobile 1 mix..   used on Guns, Rc cars any smaller moving parts for a long time, OLD FAITHFUL...
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was in Iraq we would find that most of the AK's we pulled off the bodies had ATF in them......So guess what I use now.....My AK's (all four) have never had an issue since doing this, even after 1000's of rounds....My AR only gets CLP and light grease

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Lit. Grease
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#27]
If it turns oil it , if it slides grease it . :D
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it turns oil it , if it slides grease it . :D
View Quote

This....we are talking a very thin layer of grease folks.If you use it this way grease shouldn't attract more dirt than oil will.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
If the part slides (bolt carrier group), grease it.  If it rolls (hammer, trigger pins, etc.) oil it.  Get the cheapest heavy duty wheel bearing grease you can buy and you'll never look back.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Deleted .. Double post
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Once your AK is clean, I recommend using just any regular gun oil on it.

Any parts that slide, I would recommend using 'Engine Assembly Lube' such as this:

(This works great on the slide of a Colt 1911, and it also works great on the sliding surfaces of the bolt on your AK too)

http://www.crcindustries.com/catalog/images/Lubricant%20and%20Penetrant/SL3331.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Deleted
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I use high temperature wheel bearing grease on both my AK bolt/carrier and AR-15 BCGs.
View Quote

Good idea, I think I'll try this on my SGL-31. I've got a bunch of bearing grease sitting around.

I usually use CLP, lubricating every metal-on-metal part except the piston. But this seems to evaporate if I don't shoot for a couple/few months (which is most of the time). I went shooting a couple weeks ago and forgot the CLP---rifle was pretty dry. Also had to "kick start" it, the bolt had seized up a bit due to corrosive ammo---couldn't open by hand, had to kick it open. Still ran like a champ, though.

I do give it a thorough cleaning after every session, but apparently not enough. Corrosive ammo sucks, but it's cheap, or at least it used to be
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good idea, I think I'll try this on my SGL-31. I've got a bunch of bearing grease sitting around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO! Way too thick, use this:

This is pretty much the perfect grease for firearms, much thinner than wheel bearing grease and won't get gummy, won't oxidize like lithium grease will, excellent corrosion resistance, stays in place, Midway sells it by the can, one can will last you a lifetime.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I use Lubriplate also.  Here is a good video that talks about lube & grease on an AK.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjE_nEFa0c

EDIT:  Didn't realize how old this thread was until I circled back.  Oh well, video is still worth taking a look at if anybody is interested.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top