Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:25:08 PM EDT
Google search turned up a lot of suggestions. Everything from turpintine to WD-40 to brake cleaner, etc.

I'd like to know what the proper way is to do it. The rifle has quite a bit of this grease on it.

Finally, when I'm done getting all the grease off, how do I actually clean the AK? I use CLP on my handguns and other rifles. Can I use that on the AK, or do I need a seperate cleaner and lubricant?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun scrubber or non chlorinated brake cleaner works well.  Then just use your CLP and make sure you oil every place the cleaner got into.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You are in the right place.  Just do some searching in this Maintenance and Cleaning section.

Almost anything that is a solvent can be used to clean up initially.  The big thing is that if its stinks, it will continue to stink till it all evaporates.  So if you use gasoline or WD40 or paint thinner, plan on putting your gun outside for half a day till its all gone.  I personally like to use deodorized organic mineral spirits.  You can get it at the hardware store or WallyWorld in the paint section.  No smell, but its a paint thinner that will cut all the grease.  Use a paint brush to get into all the corners and lots of rags.

Lubrication is up to you.  You can see the sticky folder for disassembly and there are plenty of AK manuals you can find on the web to tell you where and how to lube.  Most people prefer something a bit thicker than CLP for use on the rails and bolts.  Up to and including various forms of wheel bearing grease.  I use heavier oils like for M1's or M14's that you can still pick up cheap at gun shows and sticks pretty well without drying out.  YMMV as they say........
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I decided to use CLENZOIL after watching these YouTube videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qbbA23eI80&NR=1 (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45wYCMt0JKE&feature=related (part 2)

*** unpaid members can't embed youtube vids ***

So, I've been using Clenzoil as my CLP for a while now. I use it on all my firearms and have had excellent results. But how to get the cosmoline grease off a WASR 10/63? I stumbled on these vids while looking for that answer. Sounded too easy (and too good to be true). But since I had a bottle of Clenzoil on hand, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I gotta tell you guys, it worked great! I used basically the same method the guy in the videos did. Striped and cleaned the rifle last night, waited a couple hours so it had time to soak in, and reassembled. Then I wiped it all down with a clean rag and let it sit overnight. This morning I field stripped it again, and almost all of the cosmoline grease is gone!

There is still a little here and there in the cracks and crevases (I didn't go crazy last night trying to get every little bit of it out). Just figured I'd strip it and clean it a second time if needed. Overall, I'm amazed at how easy it was to break down and remove the cosmoline with just the Clenzoil and a toothbrush and some rags.

Not affiliated w/ the company in any way. Just thought I'd pass the info along in case it might be helpful to others
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just use WD 40 or Hoppes solvent.i just cleaned up a new WASR the other day with WD 40.Be sure to have a few spare rags and spray on and wipe off.Cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Boiling hot water & Dawn's dishwashing liquid work well for me.

Don't forget to oil when you get it clean.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Boiling hot water & Dawn's dishwashing liquid work well for me.

Don't forget to oil when you get it clean.

The dish soap works so well I use it on my rifles after corrosive ammunition.  I have also stripped the whole rifle and put the metal parts in our hot bath and scrubbed it with a soft brush as well and that works great.  Back when I bought my first SKS I cleaned it in the dishwasher.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
clean it off?

when i got my SKS the guy said he had cleaned it enough so it could be shot witch meant it would not explode in my face so i just shot it and would wipe it down after shooting just so i could get it back in the truck with out getting Cosmoline all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
a heat gun, followed by wd40 or BBQ lighter fluid.

the heat gun will do 95% of the work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
To clean a new Wasr, I use brake cleaner which costs $2.75 at Wally World, & takes 3 minutes. New Wasr's have lots of metal chips, & shavings which the monkeys at Century forget to clean up. I use Hoppes # 9 to clean the gun, & whatever gun oil I have for lubrication. I prefer this to a 1 product does all bottle.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#11]
since it gets so hot in my neck of the woods during summer the best way i've found is to wrap the weapon in an old bedsheet(so your wife doesn't beat you to death for ruining a good sheet)  and putting it in the trunk of your car with the windows up.  after about a day of sitting in the car with all the suns heat the cosmo seems to melt right off.  I think some guys do it in the oven too with very low heat.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Dawn dish soap and hot water method also.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Hot water works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I use low odor paint thinner for cosmoline. Let it set in it a few minutes and it just scrubs away. A good rinsing with hot water, let dry. Set stock in sun and it will ooze out for a few days and wipe clean. Apply light coat of oil ( not to much) ,and resemble. Before shooting run dry patches down barrel to remove any oils or debris. Always visibly inspect before firing.  Check headspace in milsur rifles. Have fun!   Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually soak parts in WD-40 overnight.  Lo-odor paint thinner works good, too. Scrub everywhere with a toothbrush.

When the vast majority is gone, I then use HOT water and Dawn.  Lots of both. Rinse with HOT water.

Let dry well and then oil.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top