Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/16/2011 6:38:55 PM EDT
Does anyone run a recoil buffer in their AK?
Saw this one at AIM, what it says it does sounds right, but is it necessary? Does it help? worth it?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XBJAKBuffer&name=Black+Jack+AK-47+Recoil+Buffer&groupid=64
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
They do little to nothing to reduce "recoil" but do keep two metal parts from hitting each other.  The weapon was not designed with one of these in mind but using a quality one like shown does not seem to do any harm.  The bolt carrier in the AK "they say" is not suppose to hit the rear trunion but I have seen AKs all over the world and personally think that they all do from time to time.  I use one just like you show in my Russian SGL21 with no ill effects, but is it needed....no.  I just don't like metal hitting metal if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one, but I have a bolt carrier that likes to jump off the rails during firing.  The buffer keeps the carrier from returning all to the way to the rear.  If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't use it at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As stated above, it simply buffers the bolt carrier from slamming into the receiver. Definitely worth it, imo.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a Blackjack.
They get eaten up pretty quickly.
Buy the three-pack.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO it is something you may or may not want depending on your rifle.  One came in my SLR-100H and I took it out.  The gun is very smooth without it, and I don't think the carrier ever hits the receiver without the buffer.  So, there is no real use for it.  If your rifle sends excessive gas through the gas system, or your recoil spring is weak, resulting in the carrier slapping the receiver, then the buffer may be a useful accessory.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Was one of the first additions I did to my SAR-1 many years ago. Sometimes I even forget that it's in there since it's been in so long. Can't tell any difference between the other AKs I have without them. The metal theory makes sense so that's why I've kept it in the SAR. Just never did it to my other AK rifles for no particular reason.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
the recoil reduction is minimal at best but as stated above they do keep the carrier and receiver from clanging against one another. I have a, I think a buffer technologies I installed at least 12 years ago still running, though it is pretty beat up, still in one piece.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one, there is very little reduction at all.  It's the Buffer Technologies one.  It worked great in a MAK-90, in an NHM-91 it caused occasional malfunctions.  It had thousands of rounds on it, looked a little beat up but still worked.

It's gotta help vs. having metal clanging against each other.  On a milled I wouldn't worry about it, but it might help extend the life of a stamped receiver.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The only ones I've had a problem with are the blackjack - crappy material, deforms.

The Buffer tech are excellent.

Whether necessary in a correctly built gun is another issue.  They aren't.  But to work-around a problem with a too-high rear trunion or rails, which allows the carrier to jump - it is a lot easier than altering the return spring guide to keep the carrier down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If your bolt is coming in contact with the reciever you have a worn main spring and it should be changed. Your not really not supposed to use any kind of buffer as the ak wasnt desighned to come in contact with anything in the reciever if you watch slow mo vids the bolt never comes in contact with the reciever.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, watch this video of the AK action in slow motion. Sometimes the bolt carrier hits the rear trunnion and sometimes it doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sNDTdKQNVU
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I use one in every AK and all but one SKS I own, My FNs too. I dont care about recoil reduction. Im not recoil sensitive, but I dont like steel slamming on steel in any of my weapons if it can be helped. My beater SKS doesnt have one, and when I run it the same range session as my pristine Russian one that has a buffer, the only thing I notice (I may be crazy)is that I notice more action sound ont he beater vs. the one with the buffer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I was hopping it would reduce recoil. My wife thinks my 5.56 kicks!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps you should watch her shooting position.  It is possible that she anticipates recoil, and so does not hold the stock secure in the shoulder pocket.  Which then makes more felt recoil.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Recoil occurs at the time the cartridge isfired. At that time the bolt is locked to the receiver. Installing a piece of plastic at the rear of the receiver cannot affect the amount of recoil.
If the carrier is slamming into the stock block hard the problem is most likely a worn operating spring, a worn hammer/trigger spring or both.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
A wise man once said, "I'll start using one when the Russians do". Of course this was after I bought mine
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I run buffers in all of my AKs.

It takes the "twoing" sound out of the metal triangle stocks, and keeps it from vibrating as bad as it did without the buffer.

I have some bad dental problems, Wisdom teeth growing in crooked under the flesh so far back in my mouth, that they would have to break my jaw to remove them. so it turned a rifle that was painful to shoot into a rifle I enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I run blackjack buffers in my Romy AK and my Yugo SKS. Doesn't do anything to reduce recoil but it makes me feel better having them in there and keeping the bolts from slamming into steel on the back stroke. I haven't had any problematic issues with them in either weapon either. I say go for it if it'll make you feel better lol. Makes me feel better having em in there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#20]
If your bolt carrier is hitting the back of your receiver then you should replace the recoil spring, not band-aid it with a buffer imo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If your bolt carrier is hitting the back of your receiver then you should replace the recoil spring, not band-aid it with a buffer imo.

I have a brand new Arsenal and the bolt carrier is hitting the rear trunnion with every round fired...........not a good situation I guess???
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the gun is brand new, & the carrier is hitting the trunnion, than what good will replacing a recoil spring with a brand new one do?  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one in mine.  Doesn't help recoil really but like others have said it stops the "metal on metal" action.  I just bought a cheap one off Amazon.com and the thing is still in perfect condition after 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
The buffer, in effect, decreases the distance between the bolt carrier, in battery,  to the rear trunnion.  In a stock AK my understanding is that metal to metal contact is happening and is a joy in the eyes of God.  It gets you a good bounce to get that bolt going home, plowing through all that grease discussed  in an earlier post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I've found some guns certainly benefit from being run with a buffer.  For an AK, they aren't at all necessary, but I still keep one on hand with my other AK small parts.  I've run surplus from different countries than the rifle's origin and if I think a load feels a bit on the 'hot" side, I'll slip in a buffer so long as reliability isn't degraded.  For only about $10, they don't break the bank, plus they are super easy to install and remove.  It almost doesn't make sense not to keep one handy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I ditched all of my blackjack.....they were causing issues with all of my rifles which are all Hungarian AK series.

I stuck with Buffertech and never looked back.

Link Posted: 5/21/2013 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I run a Blackjack.
They get eaten up pretty quickly.
Buy the three-pack.

Get a Buffertech. Mine has 5,000 rounds on it and it is still perfectly good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a buffer tech. I read somewhere (not here) that buffers can cause occasional jams. I have had one jam. Didn't eject the spent shell, so I took it off.
Not even sure it has anything to do with it at all however after looking at this video:
The shell should be already gone by the time the bolt is all the way back, so. . .
It's a new weapon too.

Link Posted: 5/31/2013 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a buffer tech. I read somewhere (not here) that buffers can cause occasional jams. I have had one jam. Didn't eject the spent shell, so I took it off.
Not even sure it has anything to do with it at all however after looking at this video:
The shell should be already gone by the time the bolt is all the way back, so. . .
It's a new weapon too.

Probably something else. I run Buffertech buffers in 8 AK's and 3 SKS's and all run with no problems. The only malfunctions I have had were a few misfires due to bad primers.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I cant edit worth a darn
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#31]
[/quote]
Probably something else. I run Buffertech buffers in 8 AK's and 3 SKS's and all run with no problems. The only malfunctions I have had were a few misfires due to bad primers.[/quote]
I never considered the round itself, good info. Thanks
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top