Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/28/2006 12:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Top_prop]
I'm a newbie, so don't think I'm getting preachy.  I'm trying to help.

I read the tacked threads and got a headache... all the red x's and the dead links drove me nuts.     I posted here and got some great IM's... ARFCOM rocks... but I figured I'd make Newbie post and share...   If anything is red-x-ed or just not correct email me, IM me or post below...

So here's some stuff I found useful to get my mind around how to build an AK.

The single most useful site I found was Gunco.net  
get a membership there (its free) and read away you can spend hours there learning...  "7.62x39" is a great mod and very helpfull.   Gunco's AK build it your self forum  and don't forget Gunco.net's reference data on the AK  Gunco really seems better with AK's than here  (an ARFCOM team member said another place was better!!??? )    Here's a gunco post on heat treating

A fella there sells a CD with lots of details on how to build... its like $10.    Oh and the same is for sale here at ARFCOM

Still want more?  I sure did...  Ok there's lots of sites and helpful places, and my list is in no way complete... try these:

Complete step by step directions to build an AK type rifle  I think this guy sells bent but undrilled receivers....

This tutorial starts with an unbent flat and has great detail (bending with a jig, heat treating the rails with a torch, and spot heat treating the reciever with a torch...  when it gets to assembling the built flat... then its a tad sketchy...  Soup to nuts

This is a great site from beginning to end

try ak-builder.com for more info, but this guy does want to sell you his tools and supplies.... good site though.  Membership is free.  Lots of videos on how to use his tools.

Quarter bore's ak flat bending tutorial

Where to buy parts?  

Try the EE at ARFCOM.
Try the EE at Gunco.net

Looking for specific vendors?  Lots of folks have bought from and have recommended:

Classic Arms
Copes Distributing (sells on the EE here)
Bocefus (usually on the fal files, again another free forum)
Cheaper than Dirt (Cheaperthandirt.com)
Ohio Rapidfire (rapidfire.targetweb.net)
AKParts.com
centerfiresystems.com,
dpharms.com (also sells tools, and jigs)
jgsales.com

Wondering about compliance parts?  
The AK has 16 on the list (15 if you delete the flash supressor/brake)... check out the reference section at Gunco.net for more

FAQ:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a XXXXX kit and would like to know do I need a single or double hook trigger?

response by anjan9:
it depends on the receiver you are using, not the kit.

If the receiver has two cutouts where trigger goes, it can use either a single or double hook. If it has only one cutout, then its for a single hook, but can be modified to take a double hook with a little dremeling.

<snip>

Here are some pics of what I'm talking about. Below is the ak-builder.com receiver flat. It is precut for single hook triggers.

and below is the tapco.com flat. It's cut for a double hook trigger (can use single as well)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have any sly ways to remove barrel pins besides the press and BFH methods?

my-rifle's reply:

Get a cutoff wheel for a circular saw from Lowes ($5), and a 4 to 6-inch vise. Using the cutoff wheel, slice a phillips head screwdriver into several lengths: 2", 3/4", and 1/4". Flatten the ends as precisely as you can. Put a nut on one side of the receiver, so the barrel pin will have something to receive it when it comes out, and put the 1/4" screwdriver shank punch on the other side against the pin.

Tighten the nut, receiver, pin in the vise as tightly as you can comfortably get it, then take a wooden or rubber mallet and smack the crap out of the side of the vise where the punch is. This will almost always move the pin far enough that you can then use the 3/4" punch to move it deep enough. Now take out the receiver, and place it on a pine 2x4 with the pin hanging out beneath. place the 2" punch in the barrel pin hole, and use a bfh to finish the job driving the pin down into the 2x4.

Done.

Do NOT listen to the people who say you have to drill it out. I have never met a barrel pin I couldn't get out.

And backed up by socandyman with:

what he said

one thang i would change
the first 1/8 in is the hard part
and the barrel pin can move about 3/16 befor it gets even with the trunnion
so i wouldnt add the nut to the back side till you have it at that point

also there are alot of thangs to try but drilling out the pin is always an option
if you get a really tight pin it might take you an hour to get it out
fighting it evey step of the way

it just isnt smart to fight it when a new barrel pin is so cheap
or can be made so easy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a stuck slant break? I did, and found this thread

Got suggestions post them below and I'll add them here to my first post...

Just want to help.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
This is not a newb tag. It really isn't. I mean it. It is just a placeholder for a time when I am not on Fred Flintstones old computer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#3]
THANK YOU!!!
You have saved me time, money, and frustration.  I thought this would be an easy build.  After reading the links you provided, I see the primative AK is not the enginered Lego set that the AR is and, as such, is far beyond my abilities.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Great post, thanks for the info, all the dead links were getting to me
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 10:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bottlerocket] [#6]
Quarter bore's flat bending
Complete step by step directions to build an AK type rifle
This is a great site from beginning to end

ALL DEAD
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
this thread really scares me.  Makes me think i can pretty much build a rifle out of rain gutters and a jar a screws with a long weekend in the garage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
wassa matter, don't have an extra shovel?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
ALL the dead links were getting to me
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top