Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 10:03:03 AM EDT
I have been out of the build it yourself since Romy G kits were 100 bucks. I built 3 Aks back then using the modified bolt cutters and a crappy press that was really too short to do what I needed. I find myself looking to maybe do another 2 maybe 3 builds and with the current prices of kits and needing to buy new tools is it worth it? Or would I be better off to just slowly saving and buy complete rifles? How many kits would you have to build to break even on cost? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have to buy new tools, for two or three builds, then it is not cost effective.

It is human nature to remember a tool that almost worked. But, even if it was frustrating, you did complete several builds. Do take any pride in your accomplishment? Do you value them more? For entirely subjective and personal reasons maybe you should build more even with the increased cost. You sold your tooling? Did you recoup a significant portion of the value? If you purchased a press with greater capacity will you have any other use for it?

This is not a simple question... but you asked it on the build forum. I suggest that the answer you seek is one which would be provided here. Of course you should build them.

DB
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The good thing with AKs is there are some tools that can be replaced with "Poor Man's" versions. The allthread method for pressing barrels for instance. Or the scrap steel receiver press.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top