Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2017 8:49:07 PM EDT
Let's suppose one made a little mistake and drilled the center support hole 4.5mm instead of 4mm or whatever it's supposed to be...before welding the lower rails on.  How can that be fixed? Is there a 4.5mm center support  rivet made?  I..I mean a friend...followed directions from a template that turned out to be wrong.  Any advice from any left over builders out there?

Fixed font color - dalesimpson
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Free advice. Don't right  WRITE in that retarded ass color ever again. Having to strain to read your damn post is not going to make anyone want to help you as it is easier to say fuck it.  About your problem if you weld then that would be the best option. I'm also not anywhere near an AK expert but maybe someone with better knowledge will give you a better answer.

While I was busy fixing the "retarded ass color" I fixed your faux pas as well. - dalesimpson

PS  Try to be nicer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Let's suppose one made a little mistake and drilled the center support hole 4.5mm instead of 4mm or whatever it's supposed to be...before welding the lower rails on.  How can that be fixed? Is there a 4.5mm center support  rivet made?  I..I mean a friend...followed directions from a template that turned out to be wrong.  Any advice from any left over builders out there?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I didn't mean to make anybody mad...just playing around.  I'm mad enough at myself for the mistake.  Is it worth plug welding it and redrilling it for such a small hole size difference, and  is it not going to be hard to drill into a weld ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You should be able to find a 4.5mm rivet for center support, I'd imagine. You would also need an appropriately sized center support sleeve, which may end up interfering with an inserted mag. If that's the case then you could mill/file a flat on the center support sleeve to help clear it. If none of that works then I'd weld them up and re-drill.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you grind out any metal that causes clearance problems? I know some guys do this with 5.56 builds for the magazines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me clarify.  I drilled the hole and then later welded the lower rails in, so the too-large holes are only in the receiver shell.  They are barely larger than they should be, 4.5 instead of 4mm.  
That's why I hesitate to just weld, as the re-drilling would basically remove what I would have welded in.  I am thinking of just drilling the correct size holes in the lower rails and then put in the
center support.  The rivet heads would have to be bigger and material would be sucked up in the larger hole, so I may need to use a longer rivet.  What do ya'll think?

BTW there is no clearance problem, the center support is not installed.

Hope the picture helps...

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top