Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2016 12:59:59 AM EDT
Ive got several bent blanks and i plan to spread the tool cost over all the builds.
 I have a kiln for the heat treat.
 Spot or plug on the rails?
 Bolt cutter and Tothtools or buy a press and AKbuilder jigs?
 Would like to build underfolder, pistol and 74 since they all seem to be harder to find and expensive!
 Any advise for the tyro is appreciated.
 Thanks
  dtack0
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did you get your bent blanks?
I like spot welding but if you are good at plugging go for it.
I went with the press, I can do flats too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-h-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-press-60604.html

This should help.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the coupon, wanted to use it on a spot welder but welders are excluded!?!
Guess I'll get a press
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the ak-builder tools. maks everything nice and easy plus clean rivets. some people don't have cleam rivets with the toth tools bolt cutters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer to use a hydraulic press to press out the barrel pins and to compress the rivets on the rear trunions. The rivets on the side folder rear trunions can be difficult to compress properly.
Screw type tools like Toth's are the best way to install barrels. It is much easier to control than a hydraulic press.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
AK Builder or AKMachinist at the AKfiles for the riveting jigs. Akmachinist will work with you if you need something custom like the tooling to install the larger chinese rivets.
12-ton shop press for the riveting and barrel removal/install. A light to moderate tap with a small hammer on the ram while pressing helps to keep the barrel from "jumping" while installing or when you get close to the final spot where it will headspace correctly..
Never used the Toth barrel tool since I'm not comfortable with it's method of operation, seems like you could inadvertently shear/damage the rivet heads in the front trunnion.

I suppose it could be argued the 12-ton press could bend the barrel but I haven't had any issues so far.The bolt cutter tool is a little awkward IMHO since you have to make sure to keep the rivet head flush against the receiver while setting the rivet or the rivet can expand with the head standing off the receiver, plus setting the rear trunnion & trigger guard rivets can't be done with the bolt cutter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had no problems with the Toth tool. As long as the correct front trunnion blocks are used, there should be no problems. I used the Yugo trunnion blocks on the PSL builds.
Due to the configuration of the PSL barrel, a screw type tool like the Toth would be the best method IMO. I used to press ak barrels in and out with a hydraulic press, but after
using the Toth tool, I no longer use a press to remove or install an ak barrel.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top