Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/26/2016 8:24:30 AM EDT
Order was placed for a receiver on 1/1.  I was told 8-10 weeks.
On 4/1 I asked what was up, and was told "your order is in the current batch, and should only be a week or two, if not sooner."

They were right about the "not sooner" part.

I thought they were a good company?  Has anyone heard any rumors?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On 4/1 I asked what was up, and was told "your order is in the current batch, and should only be a week or two, if not sooner."

View Quote

They are a good company, and they produce a good product for a reasonable price. Because of this they have a large backorder. I waited over a year for my 74u LLC receiver when the quoted wait time was 3-4 months. Try to keep the project management triangle in mind:

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I just wasn't sure if that was par for the course.  As you can see by my second inquiry to them, I waited longer than 10 weeks to ask for an update.  I just didn't want to send a "where's my shit?" email if delays were expected.  I've been letting AR lowers stack up at my FFL to pick them all up at once, mostly because I believed their estimates.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I know it sucks when things aren't delivered on time. I've been waiting on a scope from Optics Planet to arrive and the estimated time just keeps getting larger and larger. But I try to not think about it, like when waiting for a tax stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish they would remove the "In stock" thing in the descriptions. I ordered a couple Tantals a month ago with no extras thinking they would ship sooner because it said they had 20 in stock.

How many extras do you have on it? Maybe it takes more time to do custom S/Ns and markings. I waited a little over 3 months for a Yugo with selector markings, it was worth the wait.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I've seen over on Akfiles, a bunch of people are bailing on Nodak Spud over the rusting issues and some receivers being OOS (ejectors and rails), and are going over to Childers instead.

I have one of the corroding NDS receivers myself, and still pretty pissed about it, since replacing the center support when a scope mount is on top of it is not exactly trivial.

NDS response to the whole thing has been pretty poor.. "We will send you a can of some penetrating fluid" when perhaps refunds should have been offered upon proof of corrosion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish they would remove the "In stock" thing in the descriptions. I ordered a couple Tantals a month ago with no extras thinking they would ship sooner because it said they had 20 in stock.

How many extras do you have on it? Maybe it takes more time to do custom S/Ns and markings. I waited a little over 3 months for a Yugo with selector markings, it was worth the wait.
View Quote

No extras.

They showed 25 in stock when I ordered.
They showed 25 in stock in April when I made the second inquiry.
Now, they just say "14 weeks to delivery." (I am now on week 19.)

I would ask Miranda again, but I really don't feel like asking someone to lie to me this week.  eta: Fuck it, I just asked her to lie to me again, I'm now waiting on them to just cancel me out for spite.

These fuckers are going to make me miss the 41p deadline.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I placed my order for two receivers with custom serial numbers on January 24.  I received them from my FFL today.  Quality looks good.  Worth the wait.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Story there is, my ffl is a good hour drive away from me.  He only charges me $10 for everything.  Right now, he is holding 6 stripped lowers for me so I can pick up everything at once.

4 of those 6 are scheduled for SBR builds, and I refuse to submit paperwork until I have the lowers in my hot little hands.  I could go do the paperwork now, then go back later for the AK, but the extra cost of driving there with the additional check fee is silly in my opinion.  Had Childers told me "over 5 months" when I first asked, I would have picked up all my lowers MONTHS ago, and put in the paperwork then.  Since I keep hearing lies from Childers about delivery dates, I keep holding off on picking things up.  Knowing my luck, the day after I get everything, is the day I'll get the shipping notice.

ergo, these fuckers are going to make me miss the deadline.  Or, was the for my use of 41p over 41f?

The last two emails I requested updates for were answered in under a day by them.  This time, I have yet to hear a reply.
Odds on a cancel from them?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I placed my order for two receivers with custom serial numbers on January 24.  I received them from my FFL today.  Quality looks good.  Worth the wait.
View Quote

From Childers?  I placed my order on Janurary 1
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, from Childers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just put in an order last week... we will see lol
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered one on 4/25. I PM'd him on AKfiles, and was told that since I requested retro spot welds it would take longer than normal. Maybe I'll have a nice Christmas present

ETA: It's not his fault for the extended wait. If he hires more people or invests in more machinery, prices go up and people get pissy. If he limits the amount of orders, people still get pissy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#14]
TokerM wrote "Knowing my luck, the day after I get everything, is the day I'll get the shipping notice."

I did not receive a shipping notice.  Receivers just showed up at my FFL.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I ordered a receiver on Feb 12th, I'm still waiting
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Feb 11th waiting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine just showed up at the dealer. So right over 5 months for mine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I ordered one Monday.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ordered one Monday.
View Quote

Still waiting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They are a good company, and they produce a good product for a reasonable price. Because of this they have a large backorder. I waited over a year for my 74u LLC receiver when the quoted wait time was 3-4 months. Try to keep the project management triangle in mind:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/GOOD-FAST-CHEAP_zpszddt6sff.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/GOOD-FAST-CHEAP_zpszddt6sff.jpg

This ^^^

I ordered on 30 Oct 16. Not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Hoping my 72B receiver comes in after the new year......
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Still waiting on my Nov 7 order.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Still waiting on my Nov 7 order.
View Quote

I imagine you will be for a while.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I imagine you will be for a while.
View Quote

It's a good product, though, right?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's a good product, though, right?
View Quote

Definitely. Earliest it seems people are getting their receivers is 4 months, other are getting them later. Mine took 9 months, but that was during their move. According to Childers, they're getting the California orders out first before the law changes on the 1st.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From what I've seen over on Akfiles, a bunch of people are bailing on Nodak Spud over the rusting issues and some receivers being OOS (ejectors and rails), and are going over to Childers instead.

I have one of the corroding NDS receivers myself, and still pretty pissed about it, since replacing the center support when a scope mount is on top of it is not exactly trivial.

NDS response to the whole thing has been pretty poor.. "We will send you a can of some penetrating fluid" when perhaps refunds should have been offered upon proof of corrosion.
View Quote
All my AKs are built on NDS receivers, what is this rust thing you talking about?

Non of mine have rusted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All my AKs are built on NDS receivers, what is this rust thing you talking about?

Non of mine have rusted.
View Quote

I have the same issue (NDS receiver). Rust appearing from the center support first, then spreading behind the rails and up the inside of the receiver.

Decided on three days soaking in evaporust, followed by an indeterminate period of crossing my fingers... Not too impressed with this on a six-month old rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Doing my first build. Only thing I would need is a receiver. Since I'm doing a Bulgarian 5.45 I was going to pay the extra money and get the Bulgarian stampings on it. Would there be much time difference vs. standard? I know I'm going to be itching to finish this thing.  I'll have all my parts minus the receiver on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#29]
NDS took care of the rust problem a long time ago. I believe they will replace the affected receivers if you ask them to. Obviously you have to start over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my receiver today. looks good, but the front 4 trunion holes are 1/16thish of an inch too small.  Probably take it to work and get them right on the drill press. Kinda disappointed in that, but after the wait, I don't want to have to deal with a return and another transfer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got my receiver today. looks good, but the front 4 trunion holes are 1/16thish of an inch too small.  Probably take it to work and get them right on the drill press. Kinda disappointed in that, but after the wait, I don't want to have to deal with a return and another transfer.
View Quote

That's honestly a good thing. You really shouldn't even bother getting front trunnion holes drilled unless the person doing the drilling has your actual trunnion in hand. I've had more than a few receivers need to be welded up and re-drilled because they were so off. The smaller holes should at least give you a little more wiggle room.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
They make an excellent receiver but their communication absolutely sucks and is non existent IMHO.
Purchased a few receivers for various builds with custom serial numbers but will be going back with NDS (Nodak Spud receivers) in the future.

Good luck getting a reply from Childers using email........
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top