Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2016 7:45:57 PM EDT
I am trying to find 4130 in my area, and am finding that a LOT .... scratch that, ALL of these metal fabrication supply houses around Memphis don't even know what 4130 is. Is on-line purchase the only way you guys have found what is needed? I want to make one out of plain stock instead of buying flats from Brownells or wherever just to say I did it. After all, this is supposed to be fun. I've got my CAD drawing printed out to scale, but what good is a CAD drawing if you can't get the material???

I'm betting Home Depot doesn't carry this stuff... Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've ordered metal from this company with great results:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=814&step=2

There are plenty of others online, do a search.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've ordered metal from this company with great results:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=814&step=2

There are plenty of others online, do a search.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm familiar with them, and I will use them if need be. I was just wanting to support my local businesses. But if my local businesses don't know what the heck I'm talking about....
Guess I got no choice.

I was just hoping someone was going to come back with a "you idiot, don't you know you can pick some 4130 at the XYZ store???"

Next question. Do I want "Annealed"?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Annealed, yes unless you have carbide tools & a mill to cut it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay. Thanks!
Next question...
I want to make a 555th jig. Is there a way I'm not thinking of to "easily" cut 1/4" steel? I don't have a cutting torch or a CNC machine at my disposal.
My workaround at this point in time is to cut 1/8" plate with cutoff wheel times 10 (2 welded together for the outer pieces times 2, 6 welded together for the center piece)
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sawzall with a fine bi-metal blade or cut off angle grinder.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, if a sawzall will work, wouldn't a band saw be more accurate? I was worried that would be too much material for a saw blade.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, not everyone has a band saw. I try to mention tools that most have or can buy for a little cash outlay.
Try to take a few pictures of your progress as you work. A lot of builders have never done a 0% build. It is the way it was done years ago when the hobby started because there wasn't any flats or 100% receivers to buy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I'm kinda geeked out about it!

Just to be clear, I was talking about cutting 1/4" steel for the 555th jig, not the 1mm steel for the flat. You think 1/4" on a bandsaw is ok as long as I go super slow and use cutting oil?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
As long as you make sure it has a bi-metal blade(has harden steel teeth) or some blade for metal cutting.
If you happen to break a saw blade tooth off in the metal (it happens sometimes) you can cut from the opposite side or turn the workpiece over.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, I was talking about cutting 1/4" steel for the 555th jig, not the 1mm steel for the flat. You think 1/4" on a bandsaw is ok as long as I go super slow and use cutting oil?
View Quote

They make metal cutting band saws. We have one in our shop and it zips through 1/4" no problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They make metal cutting band saws. We have one in our shop and it zips through 1/4" no problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will this one work?

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:15:00 AM EDT
[#12]
with the right blade, and so long as you don't try to push the metal through, yes.  Those saws are designed for woodworking, so they'll bog down pretty good if you try to cut metal with the wrong or dull blade and try to feed it too fast.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:21:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Look at a Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.

Milwaukee metal saw
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Look at a Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.

Milwaukee metal saw
View Quote

I'm thinking a band saw gives me the best chance to cut an exact straight line. Holding the blade against stationary work is never as accurate as holding the work against a stationary blade.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are only cutting 1/4" cold rolled flat stock you could always use a hacksaw & smooth the cuts with a file.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are only cutting 1/4" cold rolled flat stock you could always use a hacksaw & smooth the cuts with a file.
View Quote

That's funny. I'm a little out of shape to be doing that sort of thing.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top