Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/3/2015 10:20:25 PM EDT
I want to purchase a 14.5" barrel for a Frankenstein AK build. The barrel in particular does not have the gas port drilled. I also want to use the Venom Tactical AK47 /AK74 Gas Block. I assume this will be a 90 degree port opening. Where do I go to find the info on what size gas port hole (#42 drill?) and the exact location of the port on the barrel? Is the location based upon first populating the barrel and determining the right position of the gas block? Since I am pinning the barrel, it needs to be perfect out of the box. I am an AK builder newbie but excited to learn all the ins and outs.

http://armsofamerica.com/amd-65usmadebarrel125nitridelined-1.aspx

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you determine the distance based off of the entire population of the barrel, since depending on your headspace the barrel may be a little more pressed in/out than someone else's build.

The same barrel is here:

Barrel

As well as the appropriate drill bit:

Drill bit

You could probably get away with a smaller drill bit, but that should guarantee it runs. Luckily, since you're going to the Venom block you could always just loosen the screws and move it out of the way to open up the port if needed, but I doubt you will. I used the linked bit for my 8" AKMSU build and it runs perfectly.

ETA: The same bit is available from AoA (since he gets them from AKB)

AoA drill bit
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, AEnemaBay!
I appreciate the additional links......I'm surprised my google search couldn't pick up that product page. I am gathering parts and tools now. Curtis at AK-builder seems to run a stellar ecommerce business as I am impressed by my purchase last week.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top