Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2015 5:44:16 PM EDT
I just purchased a V-Project bolt carrier for a build. Now I have discovered that it is most likely a 'cast' part. I am fully aware of the deficiencies of cast bolts, cast trunnions, etc. Should I be concerned? I emailed Arms of America (the place that I purchased the part) and asked about it being cast and that it was not in the description on the website. They assured me that the part was properly heat-treated and that they have the parts independently tested before selling them. They assured me that it was a quality part that exceeded military specs. But... of course they would say that it is a good part. No company would ever admit that they sell a low-quality product. Has anyone else ever used these parts? Did I just throw $70 in the trash?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have read in a few places over the years that many countries have produced carriers as cast and finish-milled parts for quite some time. I can't confirm this, but it appears to me to be a pretty large piece to mill from stock. Casting the carrier makes sense, and many other production AK parts have been cast for years (gas blocks, sight blocks, etc.)

I've never seen any photos/video of carrier production. Would be interesting to ask Radom or Zastava, they seem to answer customer Q's..  ETA: went ahead and send a question about to Zastava, just curious.

I know a lot of people cringe at the idea of a cast carrier, but I really don't see it being an issue.

Can you post a photo of it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you post pics of the bolt carrier? Im curious on the quality of these bolt carriers and was debating whether or not to pick one up for my PSAK 47 build im working on.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you post pics of the bolt carrier? Im curious on the quality of these bolt carriers and was debating whether or not to pick one up for my PSAK 47 build im working on.
View Quote

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to get a photo at the current time. I am working on getting a new phone. So, hopefully soon.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top