Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/25/2015 10:10:11 PM EDT
A family member bought me this kit thinking it was complete.  Pretty close, just need barrel and receiver, and auto sear components if desired.  Don't really need full auto now.  Even has matching part numbers.

Im pretty basic, and like my guns to be as close to possible in parts that are likely to have been on it.  So can anyone help me find a good polish receiver and barrels for this kit?  Saw a receiver on Childers but not sure if its best choice.

Just want to buy and build without an endless round of research using this groups expertise instead.

Here is my kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/909439/military-surplus-ak-47-polish-under-folding-stock-parts-kit-762x39mm?cm_vc=rotator

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A family member bought me this kit thinking it was complete.  Pretty close, just need barrel and receiver, and auto sear components if desired.  Don't really need full auto now.  Even has matching part numbers.

Im pretty basic, and like my guns to be as close to possible in parts that are likely to have been on it.  So can anyone help me find a good polish receiver and barrels for this kit?  Saw a receiver on Childers but not sure if its best choice.

Just want to buy and build without an endless round of research using this groups expertise instead.

Here is my kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/909439/military-surplus-ak-47-polish-under-folding-stock-parts-kit-762x39mm?cm_vc=rotator

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/909/909439.jpg
View Quote

You need to research the NFA laws.  That is not a machinegun and can never be a machinegun for you, a civilian.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep I posted that kit in the deals section the other day. I got mine on Friday and it is simply awesome looking.

You'll need a set of rivet set though and some more US made parts to be in compliance. Midwayusa has a couple of different sets of them.

But no, if it had some auto sear components in it, I would be smashing it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prepare to be extremely disappointed. Building an AK =/= Building an AR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks  Dalle0001
What are you going to order for yours?  Is it possible to do this without drilling barrels and such?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?

You have to weld and rivot
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it possible to do this without drilling barrels and such?
View Quote

No. The tooling alone is going to cost you more than the price of the kit, barrel, and a receiver. This is why it's better to buy a complete AK nowadays than build, unless you plan on building multiple rifles. Since your kit didn't come with a barrel that's original to the front trunnion you'll need to buy a virgin barrel and press it to set headspace. Once you've done that you'll need to drill and ream for the barrel pin. Once that's done you'll need to press on your barrel components using, at a minimum, 12 ton hydraulic press to their relative positions such that your top cover fits correctly which then dictates the fit of your gas tube. Then you'll need to drill and pin each components to the barrel. Since your kit uses a 45 degree gas block it will not come with the gas port drilled. This is done after you have pressed and pinned all of your components in place, and then you go in through the gas block to drill the gas port. If you go too far you'll hit the opposite side of the barrel in the rifling. All of that and you've only done the barrel. You still have to rivet the trunnions to the receiver, rivet the trigger guard to the receiver, and all of the other small fitting that comes with it.

That's what I meant when I said that building and AK is not like building an AR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks  Dalle0001
What are you going to order for yours?  Is it possible to do this without drilling barrels and such?
View Quote

I already got it in the mail. Did a 1 day shipping on it and got it Friday. I also ordered the rivet set off their site.

I ordered the receiver and barrel from Atlantic Firearms that fits the under folding. The barrel is a American made. I got a trigger group, pistol grip, and muzzle brake to get the 922 compliance.

Here are the links:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/ak47-receiver-underfolder-7-62x39mm-2543-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/ak47-rifle-chrome-lined-us-barrel-detail.html?Itemid=0

You will need the rivet set.

To answer your question, no this is not going to be easy to assemble. You will need to drill and rivet stuff and press stuff in. I'm thinking about having it partially built by a professional. I believe I can do everything else except the rivet and barrel fitting. The FFL I'm sending the receiver to is a known ak builder and a respected one so I think I will ask him to do a very partial build of all the heavy stuff.

But yes, ar15 is super easy to do. I can do it all day and at home with the tools I have. Drilling metal is not something I can do or feel very comfortable doing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few guys on the AK forums that will populate the barrel group for you at a small fee. That's what I did on a few of mine that I own. I also have $400ish in tools to build them so the poster is very right. If doing more than one get the right tools.

I am an AR guy but wanted the AK just because .

Good luck and stay away from the auto parts. It's not worth the jail time etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are a few guys on the AK forums that will populate the barrel group for you at a small fee.
View Quote

Hell, I'll do it to if anyone wants.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a kit from Midway as well before researching what all was involved in building one - almost sent it back!  That being said the parts in the kit are in excellent condition and I too have a barrel and under-folder receiver coming from Atlantic.  I'll order some rivets and get rivet setting punches for my air-hammer and mil some bucking/backup-bars like I saw a dude using in a You-Tube video.  Already have a press and vise so I think a headspace gauge and the rivet punches are about all I need.  Should be interesting...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top