Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/23/2015 4:30:50 PM EDT
I impulse ordered a complete part kit from midwayusa: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/909439/military-surplus-ak-47-polish-under-folding-stock-parts-kit-762x39mm?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'm a complete beginner with ak47s and I bought the kit with the idea that I'll be building it soon enough. Sorry if these are redundant questions.

I'm having trouble understanding certain things. Do they sell ready receivers that I don't have to make/bend myself? And do I have to watch for any specific receiver for compatibility? What about barrels? Do I need a specific type of barrel for these part kids and how would I know compatibility?

Is there a guide anywhere on just the receiver and barrel? Most builder guides I came across starts with bending the receiver yourself. I rather not do that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy completed receivers from a lot of places. I recommend Childers' Guns. Childers can custom engrave your serial number, trust name, or whatever you want. Just make sure you tell whoever you buy from that it's a Polish underfolder.

You need a standard, Soviet AKM pattern barrel. Green Mountain makes a chrome lined, parkerized, threaded barrel with the handguard retaining slots cut. It's a pretty good deal, and a great barrel.

You'll need 6 US made parts (if you use a threaded barrel). The easiest route would be barrel, receiver, muzzle device (I like the slant brake from akbuilder.com), and a fire control group (hammer, trigger, disconnector) of your choice. The Tapco G2 is the long-standing leader in sales and is a good FCG. Stay away from anything else Tapco. Several others also make a FCG, like Arsenal (kvar.com).

You will need a rivet set for a Polish underfolder. I highly recommend the rivets from akbuilder.com.

So here's your parts checklist:

__ Receiver
__ Barrel
__ Muzzle device
__ FCG
__ Rivet set

In order to build this kit you will need access to a hydraulic press (at least 12 tons), a very nice metalworking drill press, (ideally a milling machine), a fixture for pressing the barrel in the front trunnion, fixtures for populating the barrel, headspace guages, fixtures for installing the rivets, and some various drill bits (or end mills) and a reamer.

The long pole in the tent is drilling the barrel pin channel in the virgin barrel you buy. The pin is .002" wider than the hole. It has to fit tight. The hole has to be drilled precise. If you mess this up you risk the barrel shifting inside the trunnion, and an excessive headspace situation which can result in a kaboom.  

Unless you decide to build AKs as a hobby, I recommend finding a pro builder to put it together for you. That would be way cheaper than buying all the tools and risking ruining a part that you'd have to replace. If you're interested in taking up the AK building hobby, head over to www.akfiles.com and start learning.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Before you even touch the kit you need to do A LOT of research. I've seen quite a few first time builders have success using these books. The author is a forum member on AK Files and The AK Forum:

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Headspace-Population/dp/1939812321/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-AK-Building/dp/193981233X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the books. I just d/l Vol 2 for kindle and will probably end up buying the paper back edition since I do better with an actual book.

I'll look into all the sites listed here. thanks!

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were alerted to the MidwayUSA ad for the Polish AKMS UF parts "kit" today.

This set of parts fits a receiver that is made for the Polish AKMS UF pattern, particularly for the rear UF trunion. The front trunion is standard AKM pattern.
Generally a vendor will use the ad term of 'AK-47' because this is what is commonly used for any AK parts kit. For those with some knowledge of the AK, the term 'AK-47' refers to rifles built with milled receivers. This kit from MidwayUSA is from a rifle with a stamped receiver; this is why the kit is more properly termed an AKMS pattern. The Polish designation is 'PMKMS'.

We offer the NDS-1P receiver, which is designed to fit the Polish AKMS UF kits.

Thanks.
Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
www.nodakspud.com
View Quote

Great thanks. I will check out the parts when I get them. According to the description, the serial on them match which would be interesting. Is it true the date is stamped somewhere on it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Great thanks. I will check out the parts when I get them. According to the description, the serial on them match which would be interesting. Is it true the date is stamped somewhere on it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This set of parts fits a receiver that is made for the Polish AKMS UF pattern, particularly for the rear UF trunion. The front trunion is standard AKM pattern.
Generally a vendor will use the ad term of 'AK-47' because this is what is commonly used for any AK parts kit. For those with some knowledge of the AK, the term 'AK-47' refers to rifles built with milled receivers. This kit from MidwayUSA is from a rifle with a stamped receiver; this is why the kit is more properly termed an AKMS pattern. The Polish designation is 'PMKMS'.

Thanks.
Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Usually the date is stamped into the front trunnion just before the serial # on Polish AKMs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Usually the date is stamped into the front trunnion just before the serial # on Polish AKMs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Thanks. It says 1992. Wow! That's pretty cool.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top