Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/25/2015 2:51:53 PM EDT
I am building a .223 AK74 using a virgin barrel from AK-Builder.  I am to the point I need to mount and pin the gas block and the FSB.

I didn't have a problem with the barrel retaining pin.  But the two slots I am asking about are much, much smaller.  

If anyone can offer a link to a tutorial, etc., I would deeply appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
akfiles.com or youtube will have it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have access to a mill ?? Best way is to use a 2mm center cutting endmill to make a flat spot on each side of the barrel, then get the shorter "screw-length" drill bits and drill from each side to meet in the middle to insure the bit doesn't "walk" like it could if you try to drill straight thru from one side. Go undersize on the hole and ream for the correct interference fit for the size retaining pins you have.

If you try to just drill it chances are the drill bit will walk away from the rounded surface of the barrel causing problems. Using an endmill to spot the holes reduces the chances of that happening.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top