Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/2/2015 1:54:40 AM EDT
I'm trying to remove and install a gas block and I'm having a hell of a time keeping my work from shifting. What methods do yall use?!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Random pieces of steel around the shop, then pennies to keep from marring the finish on anything.  You can use any number of pennies as spacers to keep the work straight and to protect the finish.

For removing the gas block, put a penny or two under the piston opening.  Then use a piece of scrap steel (with another penny) to support the bayonet lug.

For pressing it back on, the AK-Builder barrel press tool works wonders.

Thats my two cents (and two cent method, HAH!)
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
http://robertforbus.com/Kalashnikova_Tools.htm
His assembly bar and barrel pushing tools are awesome.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Another +1 for the Rforbus barrel tooling. Initially I used two pieces of 1 in. square stock and drilled two holes in each piece to allow them to be bolted together. Set those up on the press and placed the barrel in between each piece and slid the steel pieces against the barrel and run the nuts down on the bolts finger tight. This should give you two surfaces bearing against the barrel component you're trying to remove and make pressing it off easier.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top