Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2015 8:02:22 PM EDT
I was wondering is it worth the extra $$$ to buy a AK kit that has the head spaced/assembled or just buy a kit and buy a barrel separate to go with it?is there any other benefits to the head spaced/assembled kit besides just having the barrel drilled and head space checked?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You are going to have to buy a barrel anyway, and with most of the kits I've looked at, you are getting a pretty good deal on the barrel.

As for the head spacing/assembly, unless you are building it yourself (in which case I would say yes, it is worth it) I'd ask your builder what he thinks; don't want drop off your kit only to find that your builder doesn't prefer it that way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
this will be my first build and that's why I wanted to know if its any benefit to the parts kit with the head space/assembled barrel due to it cost more. because the barre is in the trunnion  with the hole already drilled with a pin in 1/2 way but you still have to double check the head space when you reinstall the barrel after you riveted the front trunnion.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a benefit if they do it right.  A lot of companies are offering this option these days but that doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I did one from AKB, the headspace was acceptable but everything was canted one way or another. Pretty disappointing form someone that is suppose to be good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
yes that's what im worried about if they did them wrong and then gotta redo their mistakes and then you paid the extra $$$$ for nothing
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If it helps ... I just got one like that from Arms of America
I cant find a thing wrong with it / well done / good to go
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
HatinHillbilly
I was looking at their parts kit for the unissued 74's to come back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
have you looked here ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I just checked them out is that where you got your kit??? if so what bayonet did you get with it the one in the picture the 6x5 or the older style bayonet???
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the 69 izzy  .... it should be here by Friday
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I might go with the plum kit I was looking at the unissued kit from AOA but it was $70 more for unissued and I was looking at the plum kit from circle10 but they wanted $20 more for theirs.  was also looking at the parts kit with barrel and headspaced from AOA but they don't have any in stock and they said that they would have more in but that's been over 3 weeks and lees armory kit too but im just don't know if its worth the extra $$$ headspace and worry if they are done correct with headspace and how the front sight is too
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered the plum kit from plum kit
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#12]
All but one of the pre-assembled barrels that I have received have been crap.

This includes a "big name" - who couldn't even be bothered to buy correct diameter pins. And who knows what he used for headspace, as it swallowed my NO GO.  And then it took several months to get a replacement.

While I can't speak for others, I pray for protection from the "helpers".  PLEASE,  don't help me.  Just send the stuff unmolested.  You don't want  a gun assembled by a committee.  One guy.  Start to finish.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my parts kit in yesterday and it was in good shape just covered in Cosmoline time to clean it today. all numbers matched except for the bayonet which was a mix match to its shelf but I knew that it would not match the kit but im happy with the parts kit and that it did come with a bayonet.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top