Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2015 11:21:04 AM EDT
I am having no luck locating a Romanian underfolder trunnion for my last build (made up of extra parts). Have anyone used the $12 DIY trunnions posted on Gunbroker?

(http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=472020043)?

You have to assemble/weld it together, and I'm not sure of how much of a hassle it would be, or, the strength of it after installed.

Anyone bought one and using it?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
103 views and no answer- well- I guess that is an answer. I'll stay away from that DYI solution.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one and unless your welding skills are moderate to advanced, I would buy a real one.  I have a HF wire welder and it is not the right tool for the job.

Getting all of the layers to line up where it doesn't act as a potential stop for the guide spring will require some dremeling if off by even a little and you will still have indentations where the laser cut edges are not flush.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they different from the Hungarian under folders? I see those around a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they different from the Hungarian under folders? I see those around a lot.
View Quote

Yes, bottom is Romie underfolder

Also, Romie's have a single locking set of pins/lugs, others have two (right one is Romie)

While the differences extend beyond the pins/lugs (hole-offset), here is a picture with a "dual" lug config (6 and 8). If this was a Romie UF, number 8 would not be needed:
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes,you can make your own. I just convert a Bulgaria AKS-74 to a underfolder. I use the flat kit from the Flat Spot. You need do somr wielding though. Here is how it looks like:

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all for the replies.  I really do not have any welding skills so right now the project is on the "back burner". I know the set is out there on Gun Broker but I really am not willing to put $120 into it (at this point).

Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Without the ability to weld leaves you out in the cold as far as building a rear trunnion.
I made mine out of an extra rear fixed stock trunnion.
Cut front at red line.
Cut rear tang off at red line.
Then I welded a block to the bottom of the trunnion piece that was left, added side plates. Then after mating up with the folded flat I drilled the holes through the side plates.
Worked pretty good, the stock is good & tight open or closed.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top