Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:32:22 AM EDT
Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anybody had solutions to a couple specific tips I've had with Cerakote.  

I have all the correct equipment and follow the procedure as per Cerakote's training manual and if I am only doing one color it turns out perfect.  The thing is, I want to be able to do multiple layers for camo patterns, and up to this point I am not pleased with the results.

Here's the problems I am running into:
1.  The vinyls seem to leave a little tacky on the surface at some spots that I have covered.  I can get it off, but underneath the Cerakote is kind of messed up.  It's not making a good enough seal I think and it leaves a few ugly edges.
2.  The texture of the Cerakote gets more and more rough for each layer I add on.  The first layer is very smooth and I would be happy if all the paint had that consistency, but it doesn't.  The outermost layer feels almost like sand paper.
3.  Layer 'thickness' means that after several layers, you can actually see the thickness of the Cerakote, which I know is not what you want.  It's supposed to be super thin.  My problem is if I paint the layer that thin, the layer below it shows up through the top layer.

Is there a better masking material I can use than vinyl that I can still cut out templates with, or perhaps I need to let the vinyl cool down more before peeling it off?  Would using more hardener on the outer layers give it a more consistent texture?  How can I keep my layers thin without them being see-through?

I have seen images and videos of people doing processes very similar to mine, I just need to improve the results a little bit.  Any advice at all will be appreciated.   Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll probably get a better response in the refinishing forum:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/19_Refinishing.html
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top