Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2015 4:04:31 PM EDT
So I want to convert this ewbank pistol into an underfolder.

I know all about the NFA.  I am only concerned here with the mechanical process.

I already have a trunion (already drilled - she's no virgin) and underfolder kit.

I have poked around the net looking for how-to's and not found much.

I am hoping the  AK side can offer some insight.  A link, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have already done what must be done to avoid an NFA violation then it's fairly easy. Cut the rivets, remove old trunnion, put new one in, rivet it in, cut holes for stock, apply finish, assemble.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]

I did an exhaustive search on this last year when I got my M92.  It apparently is as easy as above; HOWEVER, I read that only certain under folders will work w/o interference issues.  Don't quote me on this, but if my brain cells are working, you need to get an under folder for a milled receiver.  Don't trust what I just said, as it's been awhile, but there is an issue about which under folders fit.  Do your homework to answer that question before buying the parts!  Good luck!

Keith

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did an exhaustive search on this last year when I got my M92.  It apparently is as easy as above; HOWEVER, I read that only certain under folders will work w/o interference issues.  Don't quote me on this, but if my brain cells are working, you need to get an under folder for a milled receiver.  Don't trust what I just said, as it's been awhile, but there is an issue about which under folders fit.  Do your homework to answer that question before buying the parts!  Good luck!

Keith

View Quote

Thanks to both posters for both responses.  I've built M92 SBR's in the past, and there was some difficulty with the stocks.  In this case, I am starting with a receiver that is not cut for the trunnion, and I need to locate the holes.  Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
When you say not cut do you mean the rivet holes?  If so, purchase a set of transfer punches. They'll get you a good start to drill
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you say not cut do you mean the rivet holes?  If so, purchase a set of transfer punches. They'll get you a good start to drill
View Quote

Once you align the holes for the rivets, you can measure out the center for the underfolder "cut".  There might even be a paper template you can print on-line to be exact.  Or make your own from UF trunion you already have.  Scribe the hole and drill or mill away!

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It might be worth it to print templates out to drill your own trunnions.  It's been years since I did that but I remember there was a large selection.  Print them out, see if any of your cut marks remove where the old holes were and you should be good to go at finding what stock you should need.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top