Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2015 1:26:44 AM EDT
So, all the information I'm finding says to spot weld the rails onto the receiver. I don't have a spot welder. I do have a MIG welder.
Can I just MIG these things on? Any videos? Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
spot-welding is the correct method.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
MIG will not penetrate very good unless there is a big gap to fill. TIG would work, still need to drill holes where the spot welds should be(through receiver and rail) and back it with a piece of copper or aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Google rosette weld
There's no need to drill threw the rails
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I know what a Rosette weld is. A hole all the way through will help get full penetration without over heating. I've done them both ways before I got a good spot welder, the one with the thru hole was definitely better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I was responding to the OP about his question ... and I only give advice when I know exactly what im talking about.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was responding to the OP about his question ... and I only give advice when I know exactly what im talking about.
View Quote

Except when it comes to throwing rails, apparently.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
When you two have welded longer than me  (certified in stick - mig and tig in all positions) you can tell me how its done.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When you two have welded longer than me  (certified in stick - mig and tig in all positions) you can tell me how its done.
View Quote

1. Super-glad you're not full of yourself.

2. I'm not telling you anything....other than the fact there's a difference between through and threw. Only one pertains to welding.

As for your certification, congrats. I heard it's up to 8 weeks of training to get that. But it still doesn't negate the fact that the rails are spot welded in. Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary that any country ever did it another way for stamped receivers....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Google rosette weld
There's no need to drill threw the rails
View Quote

I've done this with Mig and now with TIG since I picked up a TIG welder. Both have worked fine, no issues.

I have been a welder for 18 years though so YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2. I'm not telling you anything....other than the fact there's a difference between through and threw. Only one pertains to welding.

As for your certification, congrats. I heard it's up to 8 weeks of training to get that. But it still doesn't negate the fact that the rails are spot welded in. Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary that any country ever did it another way for stamped receivers....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being certified means nothing to me. I have come to realize that just about anyone can get certified. Kind of sad what passes anymore Oh, and look at me I have 8 different certs in FCAW, SMAW, and GMAW.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
You know I really don’t get the need everyone on this site has to belittle and questions everyone else’s skill level.
The fact is exactly what I said ... and im not trying to brag in any way I hate that
Like I said I dont give advice on things I dont know about.
But the reality is
Im 55 years old - iv been welding since the age of 13 - I come from a family of steel workers - everyday at work I build / weld things that could kill people if they fail ... im not some bubba hack that got a wire feed a chimp could run and thinks he knows everything.
If you don’t want to benefit from like 40 years of experience   fine ... dont say anything because whats the point of being a dick
All being a dick is going to do is get you no help
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You know I really don’t get the need everyone on this site has to belittle and questions everyone else’s skill level.
The fact is exactly what I said ... and im not trying to brag in any way I hate that
Like I said I dont give advice on things I dont know about.
But the reality is
Im 55 years old - iv been welding since the age of 13 - I come from a family of steel workers - everyday at work I build / weld things that could kill people if they fail ... im not some bubba hack that got a wire feed a chimp could run and thinks he knows everything.
If you don’t want to benefit from like 40 years of experience   fine ... dont say anything because whats the point of being a dick
All being a dick is going to do is get you no help
View Quote

He wasn't questioning your welding skills. He was just making light of you using the wrong "through" in your post. As to the bolded part, that's something that I can relate to and respect. You'll never see me give advise on cars past "that looks cool".

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You'll never see me give advise on cars past "that looks cool".
View Quote

Can I get in on all the butthurt here too!?
advice

OP, spot welds are the correct and authentic method for attaching the rails to the receiver.  Other folks have had success with drilling holes and MIG or TIG welding, but no country that produced the rifles ever used either of these methods.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

advice
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll never see me give advise on cars past "that looks cool".

advice

Haha, well played. Don't know how I missed that.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
SO here is what I do. On the left side I drill 4 holes about 1/4" evenly spaced along the receiver. On the right side I do the same and add in near the hammer hole. I clamp the rail in place and weld the hole shut. I shoot the wire into the center of the hole and let it fill from the center out. I use 70 series wire with a co2 shield. Tested and destroyed the rails and receiver getting them back apart.
DISCLAIMER>>>> I am not certified in anything!!! ( I do own a machine shop and fab shop and have been building stuff for 30 + years, but NO Certs)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top