Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2014 11:18:12 PM EDT
I Have a New receiver that has been heat treated.  Holes drilled but rivets not set yet, not in a real big hurry to assemble.  Not sure if I should get it Parkerized or just try to blue it. How have you guys finished your receivers and how do you like it or how did it come out? What would u do different.  Just looking for ideas or wanting to learn from mistakes.   My kit is a Romanian g kit and it looks parkerized.  I know I probably won't be able to match it but just want something that will protect it well enough.  
Parkerized, blued, painted it? Etc...  That's what I mean.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerakote is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Just painted one with appliance epoxy, turned out great, though a little glossy for my taste, but after baking it's extremely hard, seems like it will be very durable.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done a few with Burchwood - Casey cold blue, turned out good like this Romanian PSL.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Perma-Blue%C2%AE-Gun-Blue-Kit.aspx
Cold blued receiver, the trigger, axis pins, & selector lever was not blued showing the close match of the orignal bluing.

I also do some with VHT engine enamel like this Bulgarian AK74 & Hungarian AMD 65.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used Brownells Aluma-hyde II Parkerizing Gray with good results.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
In a recent build, I sandblasted (metal, of course) everything and parkerized it (except the rear sight leaf). I just love the look.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I did mine in gray park as that was all I had available. It doesn't match the kit bluing but I kinda like that because it gives it more of a built look as opposed to a bought look.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Duracoat, I like it just fine IF you let it cure for the prescribed time before use.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Rust blue is the answer you seek. I've matched Yugo blue, Bulgarian and Romanian oxide/park/whatever it is with Brownell's rust blue. You can adjust your rusting times to get the finish you want. Rust to the point of pitting, and you can get a matte black, rust it lightly and burnish with steel wool, and you can get deep shiny blue.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
sand blast, park, then norels moly resin.
if the finish is not chipped it will not rust. period.
great stuff for corrosive ammo rifles. even better for those who are lazy about cleaning
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sand blast, park, then norels moly resin.
if the finish is not chipped it will not rust. period.
great stuff for corrosive ammo rifles. even better for those who are lazy about cleaning
View Quote

+1, Norrel's is good stuff.  Some have used appliance Epoxy paint with good results or Brownells Alumahyde II.  I would use something that would be impervious to common gun cleaning solvents.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just painted one with appliance epoxy, turned out great, though a little glossy for my taste, but after baking it's extremely hard, seems like it will be very durable.
View Quote

Appliance Epoxy is the king of AK finishes as far as I'm concerned. The stuff can cure so hard that the selector dimple will glide right over it for a while. It laughs at most solvents. The trick to adjusting the gloss is to cook it longer/hotter for a more matte finish. I did a Yugo M92 booster @ 500 degrees/1 hour and the thing looks like blasted black finish the Yugos use.
I finished a MAADI in this stuff some time in the late 90's and the only wear is on the sharp corners of things like the front sight and magwell. No chipping, flaking, or peeling. No prep work other than stripping the crappy Century spray paint.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Dura cote. Works just fine. Cooked in the house oven. Perfect!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I run CeraKote "H" series on all of mine. Very wear and abrasion resistant, chemical resistant, and residue from corrosive ammo just wipes off

Just did an underfolder in H-109 Gloss Black. Here are some pics.

Edited to add photo of under folder in H150 Gloss Black
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I parkerized mine and used Brownells moly coat over the park. very durable
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Used Cerakote on the below but only because I was matching the finish on the rest of the gun, its probably the best in regard to paint. My preferred finish is blued but the whole gun would need the same and its a lot of work!

https://imageshack.com/i/ipaGYoOtj
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top