Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2014 11:35:52 PM EDT
Since the receiver is the only part considered a firearm what if I did this. I pay for an ak kit have someone els who knows what they're doing assemble everything EXEPT the receiver and then I just buy a receiver through a ffl. Thoughts? They technically would not be giving me a firearm right?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I pay for an ak kit have someone els who knows what they're doing assemble everything EXEPT the receiver and then I just buy a receiver through a ffl.
View Quote

I don't know where you're going with this.  There isn't much to assemble on an AK besides maybe installing the FCG and furniture.

If you're talking about building an AK, then most of the work is done on the receiver, you'd still need to rivet the front and rear trunnions, rivet the trigger guard, and press in the barrel.  If all your other person is doing is putting the FSB, RSB, and GB on the barrel, thats not really even half the work that goes into it, but it would not require an FFL transfer for them to add those pieces on the barrel, if thats what you're asking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know where you're going with this.  There isn't much to assemble on an AK besides maybe installing the FCG and furniture.

If you're talking about building an AK, then most of the work is done on the receiver, you'd still need to rivet the front and rear trunnions, rivet the trigger guard, and press in the barrel.  If all your other person is doing is putting the FSB, RSB, and GB on the barrel, thats not really even half the work that goes into it, but it would not require an FFL transfer for them to add those pieces on the barrel, if thats what you're asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I pay for an ak kit have someone els who knows what they're doing assemble everything EXEPT the receiver and then I just buy a receiver through a ffl.

of course if he's set up to do all the riveting, and press the barrel in, he's already more than set up to put the barrel parts on the barrel.  

Methinks OP doesn't understand how the AK platform differs from the AR platform.  I would heartily suggest reading/searching/learning prior to further posts, but hey.  I'm just a novice and all.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since the receiver is the only part considered a firearm what if I did this. I pay for an ak kit have someone els who knows what they're doing assemble everything EXEPT the receiver and then I just buy a receiver through a ffl. Thoughts? They technically would not be giving me a firearm right?
View Quote

because ATF has already issued a letter stating that just because a bare receiver is a firearm, turning that bare receiver into a working rifle is considered "making" or "manufacturing" a firearm, depending on one's status (whether or not you're an 07FFL).  In other words, either you have to do it, or an FFL has to do it.

That said, as I mentioned above, you should probably look further into what constitutes an AK build, because you seem to be very confused over it.  Like ak_ said, you have to rivet trunnions and the trigger guard into the receiver, then press in the barrel, and populate (if you didn't populate it before pressing it in).  You either have the tooling to do this, or you don't.  If you don't, you're going to need to either buy the tooling and become familiar with its use, or pay an 07FFL to build your rifle for you.

Or find someone in your AO with the tooling who's willing to show you how to use it, and allow you to use their tooling to complete your gun.  But you'll be doing the work in order to stay legal.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
To answer the question: Yes, you are correct.

However, the only work worth mentioning on an AK is on the receiver, so your question makes limited sense.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top