Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 9:07:18 AM EDT
I'm about to send a rifle out to Matt Yeamans (aka Turbothis), and wanted to hear from other Arfcommers before I do so.

What's giving me pause is the fact that he is less than 1/2 of what others are quoting on the work and will complete it in a fraction of the time.  Usually, when things sound too good to be true, they usually are.

Have you personally had work done by him?  How was the build quality?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]
He's not a boutique builder that charges a premium because they think their name associated with your gun makes it more valueable, he's one of us.  And when I say he's one of us, he's not going to screw you over.  I've have a few no frills rivet builds without a refinish done over the years.  Solid work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's not a boutique builder that charges a premium because they think their name associated with your gun makes it more valueable, he's one of us.  And when I say he's one of us, he's not going to screw you over.  I've have a few no frills rivet builds without a refinish done over the years.  Solid work.
View Quote

That's great to know.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Check over on The AK Forum.
He's always seemed squared away. Does some cool work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]

I haven't ever done any business with him, but I've seen some if his builds on theakforum, and some are really amazing.

His reweld Type IIs are awesome.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
No direct experience with him, but he has a good reputation and I will be sending him some work in near future too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a few parts from him and asked him a few questions over the years and he is a stand up guy in my opinion.

I've been burned by a couple of popular smiths over the years so trust doesnt come too easy for me these days.. but I wouldn't hesitate having him do a re-weld for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]
He is a good guy, however I did have builds with him that took a while.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Google his name, you get a bunch of hits. All the ones I looked at were positive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
He did my Hungarian reweld. I'd recommend him to others.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
He's done over 6 builds for me. Matt is very good at fabricating and he also does builds and conversions. One thing you have to be clear with him is that you need to specify what you want to the smallest of detail if you want them to be right - in writing with picture samples. He does not do refinishing. If there's something wrong, he'll make it right. Here are some Matt's work.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm about to send a rifle out to Matt Yeamans (aka Turbothis), and wanted to hear from other Arfcommers before I do so.

What's giving me pause is the fact that he is less than 1/2 of what others are quoting on the work and will complete it in a fraction of the time.  Usually, when things sound too good to be true, they usually are.

Have you personally had work done by him?  How was the build quality?

Thanks!
View Quote

Did a Yugo Milled reweld. Turned out great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Does he do SKS work?

How do we contact him?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a PAP M92 from a guy here on the boards  that was done by Matt. Triangle stock was done beautifully, my new favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I haven't ever done any business with him, but I've seen some if his builds on theakforum, and some are really amazing.

His reweld Type IIs are awesome.

View Quote

He is a good guy. I was going to have a reweld done by him, but I ran out of funds at the time.

Glad I bought one of the demilled Yugo milled ak receivers from apex while they still had them. Though still kicking myself for not buying a Yugo milled kit with original barrel at the same time.

Also he did a rare Type 1 AK reweld/rivet for someone awhile back.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually, when things sound too good to be true
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the case with Turbothis, so do a simple google search before posting a pointless comment with no evidence.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Turbo is the best when it comes to re-welds
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not the case with Turbothis, so do a simple google search before posting a pointless comment with no evidence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  Matt is an amazing guy.  He sometimes gets backlogged with work, but I have had several things go through him and he has been nothing but professional.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an early milled Yugo rpk kit that I need done. What's a rough guess as to what it will cost me? I planned on contacting him but thought I would ask here first.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does he do SKS work?

How do we contact him?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This, I have a screw build I did years ago I want done right.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

You may also want to look into Beeville Armory in Texas.  They rebuilt my RomyG kit and it came out nice!  The price was fair and turn around was quick.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You may also want to look into Beeville Armory in Texas.  They rebuilt my RomyG kit and it came out nice!  The price was fair and turn around was quick.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Beeville Armory just do stamped builds or do they also do rewelds?

Anybody know what the current going rate is for a reweld job?

I would prefer to have my kits rewelded but I am trying to figure out if it is worth it versus just buying and building on a 100% milled receiver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one of Turbothis's reweld AK's, it's part German and part Russian (IIRC) and he was a stand up guy when I dealt with him, I've also heard nothing but good about him from other AK owners and builders.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does Beeville Armory just do stamped builds or do they also do rewelds?

Anybody know what the current going rate is for a reweld job?

I would prefer to have my kits rewelded but I am trying to figure out if it is worth it versus just buying and building on a 100% milled receiver.
View Quote
I had a rivet build done so you would have to ask.  Just google Beeville Armory and email them.  Or send me an IM if you cant find it.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top