Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2014 12:26:06 PM EDT
I'm interested in welding hk sights to my gas block and dust cover of my saiga but before I do, I was wondering...

Will welding affect the chrome inside the gas block? (Cause it to flake or discolor)
And has anyone experienced any cracking or breaking in or around the welded area of the gas block after extended use?

I'm not as concerned about the dust cover since, though heat treated, sheet metal is much more forgiving than cast. I've done plenty of searching on this and so far I haven't seen any issues but not everyone is brave enough to show their mistakes.

This is for my .308 btw and I intend to tig weld it. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think as long as you don't quench it and let it cool slowly you should be ok. maybe even temper it with the torch after.

Maybe cut a dovetail/solder instead of weld it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree but I'd still like to know how the chrome will be affected.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top