Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
Hello,
   I'm new to AK's.  I never thought in a million years I would be interested in one.  If I had, I would have bought a boatload back in the 80's!  But with the potential of serious social calamity possible, I am looking into serious reliable weaponry that also scratches the gun itch.  So that has brought me to the AK 7.62x39.  I've been reading voraciously about how to build one because that looks like a lot of fun.   I am no machinist, but have a lot of Garage type tools as well as a 20T press, and a 20" Drill press, vices, punches, hammers, files, dremels, etc.

So I also just nabbed an Arsenal SLR-101S milled Bulgarian 7.62 today, my first one!

I also just bought one of the RGUNS Russian "unissued" kits that should be here next week.  It is a 1969 AKM supposedly TULA set.    I also bought the GRIM Reaper book to read over, subbed some Forums, etc.

Probably will get a NODAK or Childers 100% Receiver.

I have a ton of questions about some things I don't fully understand.

1) Most Paramount is what barrel to get and how do I know I'm getting one that will press together properly with my Trunion, GB, FSB, RSB, etc.  The journals seem to have all kinds of different sizes?  Where to get it without busting the bank?  For an expensive parts kit, should I get a new Romanian Virgin Barrel, a new already setup Bulgarian barrel from KVAR or somebody else s?  If you get a new Virgin barrel for $200+, it seem like I'll have to spend another $200 on machine work?  This has me perplexed and it seems easy to screwup on barrel selection.

1a) If you buy a barrel already "cut" like for GB, fore end slots, etc, what are the chances it will fit up properly?  It seems not much is standardized.

2)  How should I plan the finish?  I was originally wanting to do Graphite Black Cerakote.  I was going to blast everything and Cerakote it, new and old.  Any ideas about that plan?  If not CeraKote, then what would you guys recommend?

2a) While doing a build that may take a while, how do you guys protect the receiver from Rust while you are building it?

3) I'm trying to understand the 922 compliance thing.  I understand that import guns coming in today(recently) have to be compliant.  But If I buy a 1969 kit, why do I need compliance?  It would seem to be pre ban parts?

4) What is the outlook for Ammo for the future?  It seems that the 5.45 guns are going to run out of Ammo because of importation restrictions?  Is that true and can it hit the 7.62 as well?

5) Is there a relatively cheap ammo that is brass and boxer primed that I could save for reloads later?

6) On a build Ike this, should I put a side receiver scope mount?  I wold like one.

7) What are the differences between an AK-47 and 74 kit?  Can I change out a few parts in a 74 kit and do a 7.62 build from it?

8) Will anything I am considering negatively affect the future value of the firearm?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]

I'll try to help.

1. Any stamped AKM barrel should work. You can go with US made or imported. Virgin barrel is the only way to make sure everything is 100% lined up. A pre-cut barrel will probably be close enough.

2. For finish, that's up to you. I know some of the original finishes were paint over park. My favorite is a flat bluing on my '74

3. Just oil it. Or hit it with some rattle can finish that will be easy to remove.

4. Needs to be compliant. Your reviever will be modern.

5. I dunno. My understanding is that the cheap com bloc stuff is not easily reloadable.

6. If you would like one, then put one on. A kit build won't have much resale value unless you can really show that it's been done right, so you might as we'll build it the way you want.

7. Not much. Maybe the furniture, top cover, FCG, and gas tube.

8. Again, it's a kit build, and your first. Don't plan on it having anything more than parts value.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top