Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
Hey all,

I've had my AK for many years and have told myself that I am going to get it the way I want it.  I have never got around to doing it though.  Well I think the time has come for me to start the project and go as far as I can and then go to a pro to get what I can't do myself done.

I have an SAR 1 that is absolutely stock.  The first thing I want to do is get a stock that is NATO length.  I don't know whether I want a folder or an AR style stock or just go with the standard AK style stock in wood or plastic.  I look at the many pics you guys post and every time I see a nice AK I want a stock like it and then I'll change when I see another sweet setup with a folder.  I did see one AK that I really liked the looks of that had a wood stock setup that had been redone and it is beautiful.  I might just go with that for now.  Do you have pointers on where to start looking for the stocks and who has good deals and good stuff?

The next thing I have always wanted to change is the muzzle break.  My AK doesn't have a break.  It simply has the end of the barrel that is cut at an angle, which is the way it is done on many AK's over the years I guess.  I hate it and want something that looks better and performs great too.  The style I like most is the break that's on the ARSENAL AK's.  Do you all know if that break will fit my barrel without much modification or in other words, would I be able to do it myself or would it be a job for a smith with a machine shop or special equipment?

There are other things I want changed, but I am not going to go down a list of them here.  These 2 would be great to get me started and on my way.  It would be awesome if I could get these 2 finished and looking great.

The last thing I'd ask you for is some links to places I can nose around for parts and upgrades that I can think about and note that I might want to do to my AK after I get these things done.  I'd like to get a rail on it, maybe a red dot, get it more accurate, maybe refinish it and so on.  What places other than Brownells and Midway should I spend time at looking at their wares?

If you can pass on any info or advice about doing this on my SAR 1, I would really appreciate it.  If you think I would be better off selling my SAR 1 and just buying an Arsenal, I'd like to know that too.

Thank you for your help and time.

Nalajr
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top