Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:54:02 PM EDT
I was exploring the idea of cutting down and recrowning an AK pistol barrel. In looking at the muzzle crowning cutters that Brownell's, I noticed that there are two.....a 79 deg 1/2 and a 79 deg 3/4.
How would I determine which one to get? And are there better priced options out there?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, its a pretty good tool. What is the diameter of your barrel? The 1/2 and 3/4 refer to the diameter of the tool, so you don't try to face the muzzle with a tool that's too small. Make sure you get the correct size pilot to fit your bore. I got the 90 degree tool to face a mauser barrel I shortened some years ago. Just go slow, and use plenty of cutting oil.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually, its a pretty good tool. What is the diameter of your barrel? The 1/2 and 3/4 refer to the diameter of the tool, so you don't try to face the muzzle with a tool that's too small. Make sure you get the correct size pilot to fit your bore. I got the 90 degree tool to face a mauser barrel I shortened some years ago. Just go slow, and use plenty of cutting oil.
View Quote

It's the Arsenal milled Krink. The barrel thickness is 13.64mm (0.537")
So does that mean I would need the 1/2 model? I'm still not clear.
Is this the 90 deg type you are referring to?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
When you cut the barrel, you need to square off the muzzle with 0 deg facing cutter first, then use 11 deg crowning cutter.
If you don't face off the muzzle (0 deg), the crowning cutter (11 deg) will not cut concentric crown.
After that, lap the chamfer with brass lap (Power Custom).

Manson Precision Reamers makes best muzzle crowning tools. The pilot is stationary and does not rotate in the barrel.
Pilots that revolve or rotate in the barrel will definitely mar the rifling. Avoid those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23lfzpZrJ4

It is cheaper to pay a gunsmith with proper muzzle cutting tools (Manson) than to do it yourself.
I paid a gunsmith to recrown burred crown of Arsenal 5.45 Saiga, and he hacked it up, made it worse than before.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The Manson tool is the best you can use-if you can afford it. I notice that Brownell's has it for $360.00 for the 2 pilot set, and $460.00 for the 5 pilot set. Couldn't find it at all on Midway's site. The Brownell's tools are a lot cheaper, and very easy to use. Yes, the 0 degree tool is what I referred to as the 90 degree tool, and would need to be used before the 11 degree tool. I used a file to break the outer corner of the barrel on my mauser. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd use the Manson tool, but I don't, and can't afford to farm it out to a gunsmith that may butcher it anyway. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Tactical_T I forgot to mention that since your barrel is a little over 1/2" in diameter you should use the larger (3/4") cutter. The smaller one would leave an uncut ring on the face of your barrel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Manson Military Rifle Muzzle Re-Crowning Tool Kit is $125.00 directly from Manson Reamers.
One can call and place an order over the phone.

The Military Rifle Re-Crowning Tool Kit is packed
with instructions in a square telescoping storage
tube, and includes the following:
(1) Pilot Assembly - specify caliber
(1) Muzzle Crowning Cutter - specify 0 or 11 degree
(1) Driver Adaptor
(1) Ball-End Hex
View Quote

All that is needed is additional cutter ($63.00), since kit comes with only one.
The outside chamfer can be filed if one does not wish to spend extra $63.00 for 45 O.D. Deburr/Chamfer Cutter.

The tool is designed to be used with variable speed drill motor. Manual crank not needed.

When you add up prices of Brownell's 11deg cutter + brass pilot + 0 degree cutter + handle ($53.00 + $36.00 + $58.00 + $15.00 = $162.00).

Manson tool kit + additional cutter ($125.00 + $63.00) is $26.00 more. It is better tool since the pilot is adjustable to bore diameter and does not spin
in the bore.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info. Considering the cost, and the fact that I only need to do this one job, I'm thinking it might make more sense to just pay a reputable AK builder to do the FSB swap along with the barrel cut and recrown. I just got a quote for $150.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Manson Military Rifle Muzzle Re-Crowning Tool Kit is $125.00 directly from Manson Reamers.

All that is needed is additional cutter ($63.00), since kit comes with only one.
The outside chamfer can be filed if one does not wish to spend extra $63.00 for 45 O.D. Deburr/Chamfer Cutter.

The tool is designed to be used with variable speed drill motor. Manual crank not needed.

When you add up prices of Brownell's 11deg cutter + brass pilot + 0 degree cutter + handle ($53.00 + $36.00 + $58.00 + $15.00 = $162.00).

Manson tool kit + additional cutter ($125.00 + $63.00) is $26.00 more. It is better tool since the pilot is adjustable to bore diameter and does not spin
in the bore.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Military Rifle Re-Crowning Tool Kit is packed
with instructions in a square telescoping storage
tube, and includes the following:
(1) Pilot Assembly - specify caliber
(1) Muzzle Crowning Cutter - specify 0 or 11 degree
(1) Driver Adaptor
(1) Ball-End Hex

in the bore.

Thanks for the info. Why is it necessary to order another cutter? Is it to cut the muzzle flush with the 0 degree cutter, and then create the target crown with the 11 degree cutter? Then to remove the sharp edges on the outer diameter, is the 45 degree OD deburr/chamfer cutter used?
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Cut the muzzle flush first with 0 degree cutter, then crown it with 11 degree cutter.
Next, chamfer the outside diameter of barrel  with 45 degree O.D. Deburr/Chamfer Cutter.

After that lap the muzzle crown with Power Custom Brass Muzzle Crowning Lap using 320 grit  silicon carbide lapping compound and follow up with 600
grit.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top