Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/20/2014 7:17:01 AM EDT
I may end up with some parts kits in the near future and will obviously have to build them in the rifles to shoot them.

My question is what does it generally cost to get all the tools you definitely need to do a build from a parts kit with original barrel and the additional cost to do one with a virgin barrel?

I see that most builders online charge around $500 to do a complete build, park and paint. If I built my own I would still have to send it off and pay someone else at lease $250 to park and paint. To be honest I really only see myself building two of these things as I already have two that I rarely shoot now.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
You normally need to do about 3 or 4 builds for the price of the tool to reach a break even point.
Unless you have the ability to make some of the build tools your self, that cuts down on the price considerability.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Build them for fun, and to have pride in a well-built machine. You won't save any money.

Though you could recoup most of the tool costs if you sell them on the EE when you're all done.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper to purchase a finished ak than to build one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
oops.  wrong forum
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#6]

If cost is ANY consideration in your decision of building a kit vs. buying a complete rifle - buy a complete/built rifle.
You will not save money building your own. If you want to learn new skills and have pride in what you made, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If cost is ANY consideration in your decision of building a kit vs. buying a complete rifle - buy a complete/built rifle.
You will not save money building your own. If you want to learn new skills and have pride in what you made, go for it.
View Quote

After pricing it out I agree. The only thing for sure is that you will loose money having someone else build your kit for you. Basically I need projects and I'm a little ocd so it gives me something to do and fuss over.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

After pricing it out I agree. The only thing for sure is that you will loose money having someone else build your kit for you. Basically I need projects and I'm a little ocd so it gives me something to do and fuss over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the world of AK building then!  

Realistically, you will loose money building your own as well.  But, hey, it's worth it (I think).  Buy as many used jigs/tooling as you can from the EE here and on other boards. That will help keep the cost down.
Personally, I prefer AK-Builder's jigs, tools, and rivets, and have had much success with them.  There are others out there as well that will do just as good of a job though.  Look into getting a 12T shop press - new at Harbor Freight or used on Craigslist.
Also, I would encourage you to buy 100% receivers for your kits, like NoDak Spud. This will save you from having to buy receiver flats, a bending jig, and a spot welder.  You also won't have to go through spot heat-treating.

Read as much as you can in this forum and on other sites and start building away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan on using nodak recievers. I watched a youtube video where a guy used an airhammer with a rivit setter and bucking bars to great success. I'll probably go that route.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I gave up on the idea f building one. Cost of tools the main reason.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top